Bottom Valve Cap Cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I usualy let them rest for 15 minutes in some warm water with a little detergent. And after that the cotton-tip stick. Works fine...

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, I will do that. I only got into regular (as in every month) cleaning of my horns AFTER high school (crazy, I know...).

All these comments are helpful, thank you all very much! Now, to the bathtub! Haha

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Crazy?? I give my horn a bath every 6 months or so, but I wipe it down with the polish cloth once a week. If I get any green stuff then I will give it a bath asap. Guess I should clean it more often. But, I have never pulled a green glob or anything of the like out of my horn before. I do play almost everyday with maybe a day or two in between on rare occasions.

4. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    You could use a toothpick. Just be gentle.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have always used vaseline on the threads (both bottom caps and top valve caps) -- and actually on all my slides -- Even after 10 years that my King silver Flair, my flugle, and my old 1975 Conn (my first horn from 5th grade) sat in the closet ----- ALL slides and valve caps were free and easily removed when I came back to the horn a few years ago.

7. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I used to have the same problem with dirty caps. It used to be because I used to use a valve oil with silicon in it (like ProOil). I use the degreaser/cleaner that is part of the Alysyn valve oil set. A local tech recommended a commercially available degreaser. I think the brand name was LR (in a spray can)

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I typically use Al Cass -- I don't know if that has silicon in it, but I believe it leaves some sort of residue.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I got no crud and use Hetman's light, regular and classic.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Valve oil helps flush dirt particles out of your valve casings (as well as a few other things.) The dirt has to go somewhere, so the valve caps act as a collection bin. If we didn't have them our shirts would not only have water key drip stains on them, but valve crud as well.