Bottoming out?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mystrumpet, Jul 17, 2008.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

2. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Make sure you get a full physical. Any medical issues, I feel can affect your playing. I have ms and I will have some awesome days and the rest are lousy.

3. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    NickD, I have been visiting your site. Working on some of your ideas. Getting advice from rowuk. And I kind of feel bad, like I'm getting free lessons. I am making good progress, and the help from people on this site is appreciated.
    Miyot

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    NickD,

Please do a demonstration of the tongue level for high speed air. I PM'd you about it. Adam Rapa calls it crimping the hose. I assume you are doing it. A video on this would be good.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Miyot,
    every time you give back some of the advice that worked to someone else, you "pay back" the favor. Every time you post a success to YouTube, we all can share in your success. You don't "owe" me anything. This type of progress is what keeps me here! Keep up the good work.

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

I've got a couple of videos where I address tongue level already. Try this one:

YouTube - Flexibility and Trills

I have also moved away from "fast vs slow air" to a more "flow control" mentality.

I am behind in my video lesson projects. I have two FAQ's to make and I'll see if I can address this issue in yet a third.

As to "free lesson..."

For may part, I feel that if I want to deserve to get something, I have to give first. My free online lessons are my way of sharing without consideration for return. Poke around my website some more. I address this on a more personal level there.

In the meantime, like Rowuk, it is my pleasure to help!

Nick

7. mctrumpet

mctrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    Mystrumpet,

I Have been Experiencing the EXACT same problems since ive gotten my braces off and its been happening for the EXACT same amount of time.
    That is a very strange coincidence.
    Please keep me informed about your progress.

Mctrumpet

8. mystrumpet

mystrumpet Piano User

Nov 25, 2007
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    I just got back from vacation two 2 days ago. On the way home, I thought of another thing that could be the problem: jaw position. I think this was mentioned earlier in this thread. I believe I was begining to stick my bottom jaw out too far, and somehow that could be affecting my lips getting inside the mouthpiece.

Therefore, when I got home, after 2 days of not playing, I decided to try to keep my bottom jaw from sticking out. I think it is working so far. I'm keeping my practice sessions simple for the moment, sticking to long tones and slurs.

I talked with Manny yesterday and he advised me to not play anything above mp-mf.
    I also really appreciate all the other advice I've gotten here.

Dan