"Bouncy" valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tobylou8, Nov 12, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What causes bouncy valves? I have one horn that does it and it is annoying. Stronger springs? Please help!!:bash:

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't know what causes it, but I know exactly what you mean. I have two Conns, both early 60's, one with light, easy valves (the 8B) and one with heavy, bouncy valves (a Director). It is annoying. I was reading about the 8B that is has "anti bounce valves" but not what makes them that way. I doubt if it's a spring issue.

Turtle

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It is a very annoying problem and affects the playing. Bouncing is normally caused by the bottom felts losing their reslience, and, on the upstroke, bouncing the valve rather than absorbing the shock. Solved by having the valves aligned and the felts replaced. The Holton 602 was notorious for this problem when new.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Try replacing the felts with neoprene pads. Cheap and easy, so if it doesn't work, no biggie. Look at how the valves align before you buy, it's got to be the right thickness. Most stores and shops have them.

5. Diemond

Diemond New Friend

Sep 12, 2010
    Texas
    I don't know i've never had that happen to me before, I suspect you should go to a music store and get it checked out because it might a be a serious problem if not handled right.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    All my 1960's Conns have bouncy valves (even the ones with the conical anti-bounce corks). I tried to do a spring stretch in one horn to eliminate it, but that really didn't help...in fact, one stretched spring started rubbing the spring cover and drove me crazy before I replaced it. New corks and felts don't do any good, either. A tech suggested trying a switch to bottom springs, but I haven't tried it yet. It's a "problem" that largely goes away after your fingers become used to it...;-)