Brace on horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jul 4, 2008.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Ya I didn't notice that! Interesting page. I notice on my Malone conversion that brace by the bell crook can move.

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Ya, Im sure that's him. How many trumpet players in this world are named Amos :lol:

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    years ago I took an older Bach 37 to Bob Frost to fool around with. He removed the bell braces and the bell sprang to the left quite a bit, the bell had been under a lot of tension. he then repostioned the bell at the tail to better align it and re bent the braces to re-attach the bell. it became a completely different horn. I had him go one step farther and remove the leader pipe brace but leave the brace in the tuning slide. the horn actually became very raucous and loud. played the horn for a little while but it no longer blended in a community band and ended up selling the horn to a high school kid who probably over powered a pep band with that horn. Dave

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The moral of the story? Buy a used Bach, take it to a decent repair person and walk away with a better than new instrument for much less money........

At least the pro horns that are mentioned in the projects are put together at the factory like cheap student horns.

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Ooohh....Dave makes a very interesting observation in regards to the internal stresses of the brass in a horn and how that affects the sound quality.

Anyone looking for a doctorate thesis subject in acoustics engineering?