Brace

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PiGuy_314, Oct 21, 2013.

1. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Brace separation.jpg Hey all, so like normal, one of my trumpets (King 601) has a brace in between the leadpipe and the bell flare (very high up, close to where the tubing exits the first valve). The brace has separated from the bell flare. They are no longer 'fused' together by whatever process originally bonded them.

Horn plays fine--but there is a slight movement that you can barely feel. As this is my marching horn, it needs to be rather robust.

Can I just send it in to the shop and have them 'rebond' (or whatever the term is) the brace and the flare back together? What kind of a price tag should a job like that have?

Sorry about the terrible picture. Camera quality not excellent.

Thanks all.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Your shop will resolder the brace no problem, one of the local shops here charges $27.50 per point for soldering, yours may differ.

Regards, Stuart.

3. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the input. I was hoping to get a simple answer like that.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It can be resoldered inexpensively, but the cause if the stress that separated the brace needs to be found and corrected first.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Which is why none of us will quote without seeing the trumpet.

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Whenever I get a horn that needs soldering I almost always recommend a cleaning too, for two reasons...1. Any lung butter stuck to the inside of the horn will be burned by the torch, making the inside of the horn smell like burnt garbage. 2. It's already in the shop, so why not maintain it at the same time. So, consider that as well when you bring it in for repair.

7. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you can't afford the repair, duct tape or electrical tape can work until a proper repair can be made. Lung Butter!!!!! ROFL

9. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The the tech has charge more to clean up all the adhesive.

10. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    In the case of last minute, temporary repairs, I recommend zip ties, not tape. Use sparingly, and get it fixed right ASAP.