Braced or Unbraced tuning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jorto131, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jorto131

Jorto131 New Friend

May 19, 2011
    Hi, I am about to get a new tuning slide for my horn and I was wondering what the difference between the sound of a braced and an unbraced tuning slide sound like.

2. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    brace = more metal = heavy => focused/centerd/dark sound
    unbrace = less metal = light => open/bright sound.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Not necessarily. It's been my experience that while it might center and darken the sound a bit - make it more compact, for want of a better way to describe it - that a braced tuning slide has a bit better slotting and control, and an unbraced slide makes things a bit more slippery.

I've been thinking of getting a S Series style tuning slide for my Schilke B6 for that very reason - I think that tightening up the slotting on this horn a bit more would be a good thing.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here is another player trying to buy by the numbers?

ANY parameter of the trumpet can be tuned for different response based on what the artisan does and what the big picture of the horn is.

I have often heard the discussion of additional stability with the brace, but some of the most stable horns that I have ever played have NO tuning slide braces.

We have to be careful about replacing real earned knowledge with googling - and making assumptions based on experiences with different hardware than our own. We need to analyse where WE are now and where WE would like to be. After THAT, we can think about if hardware could possibly help.

My personal opinion is the the manufacturer generally knows best and that pimping will individualize the experience, but seldom make it "better" playing.

With the proper research, we buy the horn that works best for us and our playing situation in the first place and the rest is earned through practice, not tweaking.

The wrong tuning slide will throw an instrument out of balance in more ways than sound and stability.

We have reports about night and day changes with harware "modifications". My question is why the original horn was bought in the first place. We almost NEVER have long term tests. The player pimps and then practices enough to compensate for what is different. The audience does not notice or comment unless the mod is "shinier".

My Monette Ajna 2 was the heaviest but most "brilliant" sounding instrument that I ever owned. No trace of "dark" anywhere. My Prana 3 is lighter, with less braces is more stable and can be darker.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Robin.. THANK YOU ... I have been wondering for a few weeks about this same thing ... why wouldn't a manufacture do a single brace or certain leadpipe if it was "better".
    My Bach 37 has a Bob Malone leadpipe and a single brace .. yes it is free blowing but I am not so sure it produces as much focus as what I am use to in a Bach. I need to get this horn ultrasonically cleaned and also have someone listen to it from a distance.
    The other thing I notice is that when I use a 7c is is more brilliant .... now it could just be my chops but the only tonal quality I use to notice between my 3c and 7c use to be fullness in the lower register..
    Another note. I tried an Artisan Bach..side by side with my current one and really could tell a difference .. the Artisan had the focus I am referring to but the sales rep thought they both sounded great.
    So this bracing issue is really something someone should be careful about ... I might want to go back to a double braced Strad.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I want to answer why we would change the trumpet.

Mommy bought the trumpet for me when I was in ninth grade. It's a Bach 37 and now at 20 years old the middle of the road horn isn't set up for my extreme playing. I've read about some changes I can do without breaking moms heart.

I have a good trumpet and my playing has advanced from hours of practising. Going to get a new trumpet today, I wouldn't buy this one but, I do have it and don't have enough money for a new horn.

I didn't notice the problem in the half hour I tested the trumpet. I can fix the problem with a small aftermarket change.

The list is really endless. The manufacturer knows how to make the best trumpet for most players. If you don't talk to him before the trumpet is made, he doesn't know how to make the best trumpet for you.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    B15M .. I actually agree with you that their is a reason for the modifications but they aren't necessarily "better" just different and more suited for certain players. I think that there is a misconception that customizing is flat out better and that is where the problem begins.

8. Victoria R

Victoria R New Friend

Jun 3, 2011
    I have learned a lot of practical things, thank you! [​IMG]

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Let's not give too much credit to the makers for how and why braces are added to the tuning slide and leadpipe. Did a Bach Strad have two braces because Vincent wanted it to play a certain way, or did he put two braces on there for strength, and possibly for the aesthetic quality? (And didn't the earliest Strads only have a single brace?)

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I wonder if a hollow brace would provide a "brightly focused open darker sound" using a Bach 7c mouthpiece, which by the way, I believe would be an excellent begin.......never mind. I hazard to say 90 percent of all trumpet players couldn't tell the difference in playing braced or unbraced tuning slides............cc

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011