Braced or Unbraced tuning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jorto131, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    My opinion based on playing 5 trumpets over the years:

You can't predict what the sound will be like.

Three of my horns have a single tuning slide brace, one has two braces and the fifth has none. The "brightest" horn has a single brace, the "darkest" (and actually most versatile for me - it lights up when I want it to) has no brace, and the double-brace horn is closer to the brightest one. The other two single-brace horns are somewhere in the middle.

You should be able to work out which new tuning slide works best for you when you try them. Only then can you know if the new slide will fix whatever you don't like about your current slide.

--bumblebee

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Not based on the tuning slide, but if you know the particulars of the bell, you can predict with a certain degree of success what it will sound like. Like I said before, the tuning slide has less effect on the sound than the bell, and exceptions aside (there will always be exceptions) the tuning slide usually has the biggest impact on how the horn feels in terms of slotting and stability. For the people who want to argue the point regarding tuning slide, fine, but that's been my perception and that's usually how those things are advertised by the horn and accessory makers. If it weren't the case, why are there so many options with bracing, semi-rounded slides, single-radius round slides, squared off slides, etc?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    A "normal" post brace does very little to affect how a typical horn plays.
    It does have a small impact on slotting but does nothing noticeable to the tone.

Now a sheet brace or a heavy slide is a different story because it can change how the horn resonates.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    lolol.. how about a non- laquered copper hollow brace!!

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Actually, a tube with the same mass as a brace will have a much bigger impact since
    a tube has a much higher torsional rigidity than a solid post. And a non-symmetrical
    tube can be even more rigid, depending on the cross sectional shape.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am currently experimenting with forged bracing. The results up to now show that there are optimal positions for a brace designed to couple and other position that damp vibration. Yet others have an interesting behaviour when decoupled.
    Whether a tube is better suited for a certain position depends on which of the above that you are trying to accomplish. To compare braces, you have to know the temper of the tubing/bell and make sure after soldering the brace, the rest hasn't changed.

7. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    ROFLROFLROFL.... y'all are killing me! I surrender:lol:

8. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    On the nonscientific side, I have both a braced and unbraced tuning slide for my Olds Recording trumpet. I bought the unbraced slide in 1986 from Allied Music. I thought I'd try it out just to see. I think I used it for a couple of weeks and then decided I liked the original slide better. Just personal reference I'm sure. I can't remember if it was the weight or sound quality.

I've still got it in a drawer. Now I will probably have to dig it out to see.

9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Now we are discussing some theorethical aspects of bracing: a Dutch trumpeter used a different concept in one of his excellent trumpets by finding a middleway:

Feniks Trumpets - high-end trumpets, built for and by trumpet players.

The thickenings on the tuningslide should work as virtuel braces with the advantages of both worlds without the drawbacks.

These are really top-end instruments. (built by Romeo Adaci with Bauerfeind valves).

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's funny! Everything sounds better with a 7C!!