Braced or Unbraced tuning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jorto131, Jun 10, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    not sure how walking by the Ladies Guild bake sale with a $5,500 trumpet would be recieved either .... I would have to hide it in a brown paper bag :cool:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Interesting reaction! "Brace" yourself for a childish rant.;-) I have never understood why anyone would want to associate their product with evil, the dark side, the devil, el diablo (Spanish version of the devil. We have to do this now in the U.S.). I guess tongue in cheek humor isn't received well by the "mature" among us. Since there are lot of trumpeters that play in various churches, bringing "the beast" to church would be up there with bringing a "naked lady" Conn to church as well.:lol:
    At least the "naked lady" has redemption as a possibility!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is VERY simple. With the Hades, forked tonguing also works.

I believe that the Fenik trumpets probably are quite good. I do not believe that they are "the best". I believe that the term "best" is only possible to determine in the next generation. What parameters were used to judge this elevated state? Opinions of people financially involved in the project? There is a market for expensive trumpets. That is why they are there. I think that the "best" instruments are the ones that give the most players the easiest life at a price that they can afford. Any horn above 3-4 grand has reasons other than absolute playing qualities behind the purchase decision. Those reasons are not always easily quantifiable. The word "best" is best left to the marketing clowns instead of the serious artisans.

The development of modern brass sucks anyway. We are now building horns that are so loud that major orchestras have to perform with sound shields. The popularity of the natural trumpet has grown from the desire to get similar sizzle 20dB lower in volume........

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I would like to know what qualifies it as "childrens'." Can't adults have humor too?

A good product will be able to withstand some good natured jabs at its marketing. And any publicity is better than none.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    What an odd, unexpected comment.

Modern trumpets rock for a 1000 reasons.

6. Victoria R

Victoria R New Friend

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for all the help guys.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    +1
    The reason I decline to customize my trumpets is that they were designed and built exactly how I want them.

If a player likes it, they can buy it. If not, fine. It is not possible to build a trumpet to suit everybody.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The name of these trumpets have to do with mythological gods, not in the Christian beleifs, so the names are neither offensive or have anything to do with heaven or hell.

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    This comment is interesting, but I like it. I mean, if you look back at the early/mid 1900s trumpet makers I think the horns made were pretty decent. After all, we still use/buy many horns from back in the day. I don't think any really major improvements have been made since then. And the volume, as Rowuk mentions, is clearly not necessary... never had a problem getting volume out of any horn, why make them louder? So I think we can say modern trumpets aren't really getting any "better", they just seem to have more options to them. Perhaps simple is better.

10. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Sometimes I wonder if we spend as much time in listening and practicing as we do in chasing the holy grail in tweaks and etc,
    we would be on the the correct road to acheaving our goal.
    Don't forget that the world is based cash to make the world go round.
    No two horns are the same .............every one will it's own characteristics.
    check out this interesting piece...........http://brassmusician.com/interview-with-bill-jones-of-trumpet-design-studio/