Braces are off now what?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet guy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I just recently had my braces taken off. Should I practice with my retainers and gradually move to bare teeth or should I just move straight to bare teeth. I find I have trouble switching from in the staff notes to above the staff notes without the retainer but I use so much less force with high notes without the retainers. Any suggestions? I'm already working the Clark book and stamp exercises at soft volumes.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    long tones, slurs played softly without the retainers!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Retainers with those nasty wicked sharp wires, or the plastic ones? I would advise playing without any of the above--if you take them out to eat, you can take them out to play. What would make a whole lot more of sense, however, than asking an internet community that includes folk like me (despite occasional moments of pure brilliance), would be to ask your dentist/orthodonist. Professionals tend to know what they are talking about!

Try to kiss a cute horn player now that the braces are off--it is worth the risk, and way more fun than practicing!

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Do not practice or perform with your retainer.
    Every time the dentist tightens or adjust the wire it will change your embouchure.
    Take it out and don't bother telling the dentist. You'll have much more confidence performing.

5. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    "Braces are off now what?"

smiley lg.jpg

Smile !

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    You should just practice, but definitely without the retainer. When I got mine off, it took a good month to get back to normal. It's such a drastic change in your mouth. I found that even if I did practice with the retainer, it would pop out or feel really weird. So I wouldn't suggest it. Just give it a little time, it'll come back if you lost any ability. You just have to be patient (I know I wasn't).

7. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Trumpet guy,

So how is the first week without the braces? Big change? In your opinion how long do you think it would be before you got your old range and tone back? Keep us posted on your progress.

My son get's his braces off next month, and your input would be helpful in planning events and auditions. I recall his orthodontist saying he will have a permanent retaining wire behind the lowers, and a removable retainer on the uppers.

8. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I went through this my self.

I took a day off... This is probably one of hte best things you can do for your mental health, because I had some idea that I was going to be amazing right after I got my braces off... So to lower the shock I took a day off.

Then I practiced normally to see what I could and couldnt do still. I could do alot actaully, my tone was only a little worse and my range took a hit. I started with lowtones and slurs and what not.

Full recovery from getting your braces off takes about 2-6 months depending on the person. Its a change in your embrochure.

One thing I would be wary of though is pressure. You will be tempted to use to much. DON'T....

9. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I, too, expected a great increase of ability after braces were off and took a few days off too.
    I actually find my high range is easier without braces (though no gain in extra notes). No pressure, no throat tension, and a huge sound. But my endurance sucks and after a few minutes I find I can't easily switch between the high, mid, and low ranges without having to reset my embrochure. And few more minutes later, I find I have trouble with throat constriction above the staff.

BUT the first 10 or 15 minutes (after breathing excersizes, long tones, and some runs up the Bb and F scales) are great. And afterwards a short cooldown with the same scales going down. Generally it takes a half hour afterwards to be able to play again (for me). It seems the fundamental warmup and cooldown has a lot greater effect on my playing now than it ever did before. (I envy those who wrote on the confessions thread that they never have to warm up).

To Trumpet Dad: the permanent retainers shouldn't pose a problem if their behind the teeth. I think you should definately take the advice of the post just above yours (I am). Although the retainer gives the feeling of braces and will be more familiar, you have to eventually get used to bare teeth again. So, might as well start as soon as possible.

To note360: The funny thing is I have been completely off with all predictions about braces so far. I was told that it would take that long to get used to braces (took only 3 1/2 weeks for me). The dentist predicted the braces would be on for a year and a half at least (I got mine off in 10 1/2 months). So I'm hoping this phase will pass just as quickly as all the others. :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  10. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    To trumpet dad: I have a retainer up top and a permanent wire on bottom too. It works fine... It could suck if you anchor tounge though...