Braces coming off soon!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mandyg233, Jun 12, 2011.

1. mandyg233

mandyg233 New Friend

Jun 4, 2011
    New Jersey
    Has anyone had experience getting braces off and if so how did it effect your playing?
    I got braces in 6th grade and started playing trumpet 7th grade so I've never played without them! :D

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's going to totally hose your playing for a bit - expect it, but don't get discouraged by it. (on the off chance that it actually helps things, thank your lucky stars)

As you adapt to the new set of chops sans braces, don't push it too hard - easy, relaxed practice in moderation is going to be the key to making the adjustment.

3. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
    Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have learned to play without as much pressure as most people. Make sure that you do not start applyiing pressure to your chops in order to play right away. If you feel the need to press just blow harder. You should be able to get used to playing without braces very quickly.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I had braces for my freshman year of college (oh hi social life)
    I lost some endurance, but I quickly got it back.

Everyone's experience with braces is different so good luck and hope for the best!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And the neat thing is, it'll push the teeth right back into their original position. Gotta love those dentists.

Door's wide open now for any dentists out there to comment.

6. mandyg233

mandyg233 New Friend

Jun 4, 2011
    New Jersey
    The braces are officially off! Oddly/ amazingly my playing is the same! My tone is just as good and I think high notes may even be easier. I'm delighted!!! Also: anyone out there know why this is? Just throwing it out there :D

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Good habits are good habits :)
    When I got my braces off I lost my endurance (similar to the way you do if you don't practice for 2 days or so) but my articulation was crisper. *shrug*
    Trumpet is weird

8. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    congrats on the braces...... nothing quite like smooth teeth. :-)