Braces & etc.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Aug 21, 2006.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Hello TM. I recently got my braces taken off, and it's almost the same story as when I got them put on. Your range decreases, your tone goes to pot, so on and so forth. You who've had this before know what I'm talking about. I was wondering, though, if any of you who have already gone through this can tell me how long it should take before my playing is "normal" again?

2. Thermos

Thermos Pianissimo User

Jul 15, 2006
    It took me about 2 weeks. The first few days are especially rough, but beyond that it begins to clear up. I was able to go to a music camp a few days after I got them off, which forced me to keep playing (a good thing!). By the end of the week, I felt normal. Although I didnt place well in the music camp :(

I also developed a pimple on the center of my upper lip, right where i place the mouthpiece, which really screwed me up, so you may make it through even faster.

What worked for me was lots of playing in the staff- low C to a tuning C, possibly up to a G after the first few days. Lots of Clarke #2. I went through some of the arban's duets (I have a play along CD) also.

Just stick to it and you'll be back to normal (and probably better!) before you know it. ;)

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Eek! I must be doing something wrong. It's been 2 months and I'm still not back to normal, and I play every day!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wow, two months is a long time! A couple of things to try -- "remember" how you held your lips and jaw with the braces on, then put the mouthpiece in place and see what happens. If that doesn't do anything good, try confusing your lips by borrowing a bunch of mouthpieces with different rims (not just cups) for a day or so, then go back to your old mouthpiece, (unless you found something that works and sounds great). Make sure you've given your trumpet and mouthpiece a good cleaning, 'cuz braces can hold a whole bunch of really gross yeechy stuff!

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Thanks for all the help, but apparently I have more issues with my embouchure than just getting braces off. Don't fear, however, I now take lessons from Bill Pfund, Vice President/President Elect of ITG! He's quite amazing. After my first lesson he helped me jump back to my original range. Now, with my new embouchure I'm learning, I need to learn how to play low notes again!

6. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Sound like you getting back on track. Don't worry about it too much, just keep striving for a brilliant vibrant trumpet tone.