Braces just removed.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yangboy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. yangboy

yangboy New Friend

Mar 5, 2009
    I have braces for 1 1/2 years already, and at that time, I could hit a C above the staff with the aid of braceguard, without it, it will hurt a lot.
    Now that I've removed my braces, its really hard to play. It felt as if air could not go through and I get a "stuffed" feeling. I've never felt this before, and I could not hit high notes, not even middle C.
    I've searched previous topics about braces being taken off, and many people say that it will take around 2 months or so to get used to it, but I have to perform in 1 month's time... fortunately, I'm playing 3rd trumpet, but I have to reach G above the staff at least.
    What should I do? I practise 2-4 hours a day, and towards the end of each practices, I felt a lot tired than in the past.
    People recommend to play long notes n etc, I wonder if it is possible for me to get to a G at least by the end of the month. Thanks...

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    When long notes are advocated it also means that these notes should be very low notes, but, the major point is to play these long notes as softly as possible while maintaining perfect intonation and constant volume. The principal is that this will build lip muscle and help you play with minimum pressure, a very good thing.

OLDLOU>>

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    First off I feel for you, my friend just went through the same problem.
    Get readjusted to your horn
    long tones, slurs, and basic chorals

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    All of the above is correct, but you must understand you have now changed your whole mouth or the cavity. Work on the things they have mantioned with as little pressure as possible and good tight corners. It will take time, but it will come. You might want to think about finding a private teacher who can help you with this transition.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I have helped many students through this adjustment. Your lip muscles are too loose because of the removal of the braces. I would start with some low long tones. Start on low C. Hold for 4 counts at 1/4= 60m.m. rest 4 beats repeat 3 times. rest, do the same on C#, the D, D#, etc stopping on middle G. Rest longer. Start on middle G and repeat format down by half steps as low as you can go. repeat 2 to 3 times a day for a week (7 days). After a week you may expand your range and play easy songs. At the end of 2 weeks you should be close to normal. Let us know how this goes. IMPORTANT: GO SLOW AND EASY. DON'T RUSH THIS TRANSITION.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    hi i actually just got braces in the beginning of the school year in september. i personally had to work my but off to get my range back, but i was wondering will i have the same problem as you did? i am to have them on the same length as you did

7. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    I have braces and braceguard now so I feel for you. Lips slurs, long tones, pedal tones....all that good stuff will get you back to shape.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I think the best thing, if you can manage it is to take a least a few days totally off to let your mouth get used to how it feels not to have all that metal in there. I understand though, that it's hard to be able to do that.

I'd start with some soft long tones and maybe simple tunes on the mouthpiece. Then soft long tones on the trumpet. Practice in short sessions, start at maybe five minutes, and play several sessions thoughout the day. As you feel a little more comfortable, add time and start doing easy slurs and articulation. Clarke studies work great too.

Don't force the upper register! It doesn't take long to make bad habits that can take a long time to break. Gradually increase the range you play in, but if you feel that you're straining, pinching, using lots of pressure, pivoting excessively, back off and give it more time.

Until you start feeling a little more comfortable, I wouldn't spend too much time all in the same register. An hour straight below low C would probably promote some lazy chops, for example. Whatever your range is right now (say...low C to third space C) spend some time in your "middle," "upper" and "lower" registers, realitive to your current range.

9. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    I remember getting my braces off. Not knowing of the transition I was about to have to go through, my mother, orthodontist, and my self decided to get those things off about a week and a half before concert festival. I played first part. The first few rehearsals were torture. Luckily, my band director had done braces as a kid as well so he understood. I was able to get my chops up just enough to make it through the festival (we made 1's so I guess I couldn't have sounded too bad.). It's just something that's going to take time and doesn't need to be hurried.

10. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    Oh, and you are going to bite your lip a lot while eating lol.