Braces just removed.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yangboy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yangboy,
    you will be developing new habits and they take time. I suggest on taking BIGGER breaths than ever before. Breath support minimizes the amount of work the chops have to do. Practice VERY softly. Start with long tones and easy slurs, then easy tunes like out of a hymnbook. At the end, you can add some technical stuff and chop builders. Just remember low volumes are your friend!

2. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I wore invisalign for a year back in 2003. The orthodontist told me not to play at all. I don't play out in public anymore so it wasn't a big deal. When I stopped wearing hte invisalign and began practicing again my vibrating point had moved and I have had a difficult time playning consistently in the middle registers. My overall range jumped dramatically from E over C to a pretty nice sounding A and once in a while a double C.

3. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    I remember that. Basically, just keep practicing, but not to the point that you are tired. That's never going to help anything very much, only practice until you start to feel tired.
    When you get your braces off, your body has to redesign your lips almost. With your braces on, your body compensated for the increased volume of your mouth by lengthening the muscles and tissues. Now, without all that, it needs to shrink back to it's original size. I am not sure exactly how you can help it along in the process, I just know that you shouldn't tear up your lips by practicing too much.
    Mouthpiece pressure may also help, make sure you are not ramming the mouthpiece into your face.
    Aside from long tones, try to just play simple stuff you might have played a few years ago. Scales also will help
    To get up to a high G by the end of the month could be difficult, with only two weeks left as of right now. My advice, practice your scales a lot and hold the highest note that you can play. Correction, the highest note you can play with a good sound. Sound matters more than the fact that you can hit the note.
    My advice to any player who can't hit high enough notes for a song: just take it down an octave. If there is another person playing your part, they can cover for you. And odds are that another section is playing the same notes as you.
    In sum, I am not sure how to speed the process of recovery other than standard practice. To get the high G, I would try scales, including the chromatic. If you can't hit the note, no big deal, just take it down an octave for now.
    Best of luck to you man.

4. yangboy

yangboy New Friend

Mar 5, 2009
    Thank everyone, I'm trying my best to play as soft as possible whenever I can. When Im doing long notes, it seemed to be real hard to hold the soft notes, compared to the past. Nevertheless, I just kept trying tho.
    I've just finished practising today, and I had band practices for 6 hours +
    for the first 3 hours, I was fine, but after that, my lips seemed to be very tired or something. I can't as good as the first 3 hours. Am I tired or something?
    And I also felt that I'm somehow biting my own lower lips. Tried to avoid it but its tough. Will 3 hours be enough for everyday? Or less or more?

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

6. yangboy

yangboy New Friend

Mar 5, 2009
    Re to oldlou
    I'm 16 this year, and played trumpet for around 3 years +
    I do around 2-3 hours by myself , and I had band practice for 6 hours yesterday, that was why I had to practise 6 hours.