Braces Removal!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrfabulous963, Nov 29, 2005.

1. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Recently had my braces taken off and found i cant play nearly as well as I used to. Also, I now have bonded retainers behind the teeth that chew up my tongue while tonguing. Any ideas or technique tips for me. Please hurry with a response.

2. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Well, the clarinet players in my high school band play with thin rubber strips over the lips were their point of attack is. Maybe you could flip their version and make your own type of cloth or strip of rubber in the roof of your mouth where your point of attack is. Hope that helps.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Just be patient.

ML

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Exactly. This happens to everyone to some degree for a while after they first get braces or they are removed. you'll adjust soon enough; just keep playing

5. HHansontrpt

HHansontrpt New Friend

Nov 1, 2005
    Do you have a top and bottom permanent retainer?

I have a bottom one....have had braces off for 3 years, and have progressed tremendously since. It will not take long for you to do the same. Sometimes the bottom retainer is actually a helpful reminder for me to keep my tongue down and out of the way in slurring...Just a thought. You'll not only get through this setback, you'll grow and succeed as a result.

Keep it up!