Braces Removal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetaddict, Sep 12, 2010.

1. trumpetaddict

trumpetaddict New Friend

Sep 3, 2010
    Im getting my braces taken off and i was wondering whether my sound tonguing and range(A above the staff) will improve. And will i be able to learn to double tongue and triple tongue now.

2. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    No telling really.
    I wore braces from jr high into my freshman year in High school.
    I never really had a problem with tonguing,but my range increased due to the simple fact that I no longer had to worry about my lower lip getting chewed up.Im sure braces are different now a days though.

3. Joe

Joe Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2010
    Ireland
    Braces donĀ“t affect your tonguing at all
    However your range and endurance will increase when the braces are taken off

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with Joe, my experience with students is that braces do not affect tonguing. Range can improve. Improving range however does not mean take the horn and jam it into your face.

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    If you want to improve your double/triple tonguing, you simply have to practice it. A lot. A lot lot lot lot. Every day, make tonguing practice part of your routine. Start by making a "K" articulation: "kuh, kuh, kuh, kuh" and keep working at it until it sounds pretty clear. Then practice playing 4 quarter notes on each pitch of a scale, going up. Once that sounds as clear as when you use the "T" tonguing, then move to playing eight 8th notes on each pitch of a scale, going up and down.

Once you've got that clear, then use the Arban's pages on double and triple tonguing. Some people learn one more easily than the other, so try them both and see which is easier for you at first, and then work on those exercises, eventually moving to working on the other type of tonguing.

Eventually the "k" sound will be more of a hard "g" sound: "duh, guh, duh, guh" for double tonguing instead of the "tuh, kuh, tuh, kuh" you start out working towards.

Finally, when you try to use double or triple tonguing on a melodic passage (as opposed to the isolated fanfare-type rhythms on the same pitch) you have to work not to try to match each syllable with each pitch. Instead think of your trumpet playing in such passages in terms of a well-built machine, where each individual part does its thing without caring whether the other parts are doing their thing, and if each part is working perfectly the machine works perfectly. So your tonguing and your fingering are not linked but instead start at the same instance and proceed at the same speed so that they align perfectly without you having to think about it and the music comes out clear and great.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Mine are coming off soon too!!! Im so excited.....As for double tonguing, I personally haven't felt a difference, the braces dont affect the placement of my tongue. As far as range goes, im hoping it just gets somewhat easier. My lips always rub against the braces, and it hurts a lot to play up high. Its gotten substantially better cause I've been doing it a lot lately in marching band, but from what I've heard range does get much easier after they go away!

7. TheTrumpetMan13

TheTrumpetMan13 New Friend

Sep 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I had braces when I started playing. Since I had never played w/o them, I was nervous about getting them taken off. You will play a little bad at first, but after that is over, your range and tonguing should improve.

8. Nighthawk877

Nighthawk877 New Friend

Apr 28, 2010
    San Antonio, Texas
    I wore braces during my last two years of high school. Now I have retainers and have been wearing them for almost two years.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Everything affects everything. The entire geometry of your face changes when the braces come off. You need to really pay attention to your breathing and solid low register in the beginning. After a month or so, you can start working on the upper register. I would not recommend moving faster than that. Too much changes.

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    What happens if you have three auditions within two weeks of getting them removed?