Braces Removal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetaddict, Sep 12, 2010.

1. cuzsis

cuzsis New Friend

Sep 15, 2010
    I had my braces off in fall of 8th grade... two weeks before I had a "taps" solo for Veterans day.

Since I had learned to play trumpet with them on (back in 6th grade) I found out that having them off meant I had to teach my lips all over again. Seriously, it was like being back in first semester 6th grade. What used to be middle G was suddenly low C.

I went "Eep." and started practicing like crazy. By the time the two weeks was up I was far enough along to play my solo (came out great!) and was back in top form not more than a week or two after that.

After that my range definitely increased! (No more shredded lips! YAY!)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All I can say is good luck. There are no shortcuts and trying to rush anything means DESASTER!

The recovery after braces (I have been teaching for over 30 years) is not predictable. Some have a tough time, others breeze through. There is no way to shortcut the process. You need to learn new habits. If you were practicing A LOT WITH THE BRACES, then you have a stronger base after they get removed. If you were just getting by, then you will certainly pay for that attitude the hard way during the auditions.

Long tones, lip slurs, breathing exercizes. Minimal technical studies for the first month or so. Lots of simple tunes like from the hymnbook.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I'm a solid player with them, I play lead in most stuff, and my tone is great, I take lessons when I can, so essentially do I have a decent chance of getting by when the braces come off and I have auditions? They are jazz (which means range issues?), county band, and wind ensemble. I shouldn't have to play much higher then C for county band, since that is the required range, and jazz I only need to play a D, both which are in my comfort zone, but I'm still worried.....I learned with no braces, but when I got them on is when I started to really hone in on my skills, and work out the problems. Will this end up hurting me?