Braces Removal?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joshua712, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Joshua712

Joshua712 Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2012
    Texas
    I am a freshman in high school with braces on. When I first started playing I showed lots of talent, but when I was an eighth grader, I had braces put on, which totally set me back. But after about a year and a half they are coming off, what will that be like? Will it be an easy adjustment? How long will it take? Anyone have any stories / experience? Help! Thanks!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'll be like starting over again... what ever that means!

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I switched to French horn when I got braces! It was way too painful to play trumpet because i had developed bad habits with regard to mouthpiece pressure to get high notes. Getting them off only took me a couple weeks adjustment. A coup,e weeks after getting them off I had to start auditioning for university scholarships and was offered two full and one partial. For what it's worth. :) be patient and you will be surprised how much your lips will thank you for getting all that metal taken out and for how straight your teeth are now!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Everyone is different. I have had students where losing the braces was like pulling the plug out (unrestricted playing) and other students where it was also like "pulling the plug out"(no power).

Because no braces means a BIG change in the geometry of your face, I recommend 2-4 weeks of taking it easy - long tones, scales, easy tunes in the staff.- NO HIGH OR LOUD NOTES!!!!!!!!!! After a couple of weeks, your face, ears, brain will get used to the differences and you can get back into a decent well rounded routine.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Been there, done that. Big change, but if youve been toughing it out up until now your in for a big reward. The adjustment period will seem like nothing compared to the comfort of having no sharp edges AND straight teeth to work with. Enjoy! Best wishes.

6. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    You'll be too busy making out to bother with your trumpet. But your chops, especially your tonguing, will be strengthened when you return to playing - after you realize there's more to life than making out, but not a whole lot more.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012