braces! what should i do to help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by madmattm, Dec 20, 2009.

1. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    Take it easy the first few days; focus on playing low long tones with as little pressure as you can, it will almost be like starting over. There's not going to be a quick fix for it. They make a mouthguard for trumpeteers with braces or you can also use bees wax. One thing i learned about playing clarinet that can probably work the same for trumpeters with braces is Ezo or an imitation shammy over your teeth where your mouthpiece is-the cheap temporary substitute for that would just be notebook paper folded over itself a couple of times.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    1st thing: braces aren't easy. At all.
    2nd thing: trumpet playing with braces is even harder. Seriously.

However, you can work through it. The best thing to do is to rest and start slowly. The mouth will feel awkward for a while. See what works best for you and gives you the least pain. I never used a cover for my lips. However, I did have some pain, so it is a thing to consider.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Go to the top blue bar (right under the welcome banner with your name in it), click on the "SEARCH" button and type 'braces' in the box. You will find quite a few threads that discuss this and you will note that experiences are all over the place. Some continue to play with minimal effects while others completely shut down and have to play tuba or saxophone. So, it will not be apparent until after you have the braces just how it will affect you. But, don't despair. There is generally a solution that will allow you to continue playing. You just may need to endure a bit of discomfort until you become accustomed to them. Good luck.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I love playing in braces - they make your trousers bob up and down - providing you're not one of those who wear a belt with them - oh blast! I've just re-read the 1st post - this thread isn't about suspenders - is it? ;-)

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I used while plumbers pipe tape to cover the brackets on the front four teeth, top and bottom. Use a narrow rectangle shape. If it's too thin, dampen a new piece of tape, and double over once or twice and trim to size. In my experience it's by far the best way to deal with the pain and discomfort of sharp metal being pushed into your lips.

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Don't force anything,
    lots of long tones, simple stuff, don't try to play in any extreme for a while (try to keep it in the staff in general if possible). Play for short periods throughout the day, say 10 min of long tones every few hours.
    oh, and DON'T FORCE ANYTHING

Good luck

8. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Braces aren't a big deal like everyone makes them out to be!

My advice is not to even try playing for 2-3 days as your teeth are very sensitive (you'll find it's a struggle trying to eat anything as well). When you feel ready, take your mouthpiece and try getting some nice buzzes (try to stay below a middle c). Then head on over to your horn and work some more. Once you get out a solid note, keep practicing in that same embouchure. It will hinder you for the first few days while getting used to it, but if you practice enough (at least 1hour a day), you should have no trouble. And despite what anyone says, it IS possible to hit high notes with braces!

9. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

All of those products can help with keeping you from smashing your lip into your braces, basically the same as wax, just for all of your braces.
    When I had braces last year, I felt they just screwed with the airstream and I just played with minimal pressure and it wasn't an issue.
    One thing to remember: you are going to need to relearn how to play in a way, your lips have moved outward because of the braces.
    GOOD LUCK