braces! what should i do to help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by madmattm, Dec 20, 2009.

1. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    No problem, and I know how you feel :D

I don't know anything about that product (I never even used wax- though I suppose it would have helped).

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Don't read any of this stuff. Your experience will be individual. You may have nothing to worry about and all of this stuff will mess up your head. On the other hand, Baritone horn may be a good bet for the next 2 years...............

Take it as it comes. You have enough on your plate getting braces. I hope it is worth it.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    When I got my braces, I had a three hour rehearsal and a competition all within 72 of getting them on. The first twenty minutes my sound was crappy, but then I relaxed and my sound was slowly rebounding back, my range was still there, and by the end of the night I had bleeding lips. About a month later, my sound was great, range was the same as before the braces, and better was my lips had toughened up, and my endurance was excellent. Over the last year I had some issues with the braces, but now Im one of the top players in the school, and I still have braces. They don't hold me back at all, and in a way keep me from using too much pressure. I have a feeling when they come off, ill have some issues, but personally I learned a lot through getting the braces and having to play. You'll be fine!

4. SavingForAMonette

SavingForAMonette New Friend

Nov 29, 2009
    UK
    Well all i can say is braces are a Pain im getting mine off in around 2-3 months and i have sat 2 trumpet exams and i passed them both and they were hard exams so you MUST persevere. some people get different kinds of braces which can affect your playing but if you have been one of the lucky ones who has a less "stamina stunting" brace then you should bee okay LONG TONES and lots of practise. You have to practise alot otherwise you with never be able to gain stamina and range. Good luck, hope they arent as bad as mine are.
    -SavingForAMonette

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I played through braces for two and a half years to correct a severe overbite. You Will Live Through It and later wonder what all the fuss was about. As for me the silver lining was how much I gradually improved as my teeth became straight and trumpet mpc friendly. Best wishes.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If I'm reading this post correctly, the braces are off now. So how did it go?

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You blokes sure love revisiting OLD threads.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I used to do it all the time, then I started reading the dates. Oh my!:oops: My "record" is one from early 2003!