Braces...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, May 5, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Harrumph! Lara NEVER regards what I say... :bleah:

Andrew, you know how I resolved my upper lip air pocket problem? I worked it out at home. My instructor could only give me helpful advice how to go about it (mental pictures, thinking about things, etc), but I only resolved my issue when I sat in a room, and trialed and errored.

Another thing I may have missed telling you (I'm not perfect, dad-gummit): Your lips should touch your teeth when you form the embochure. Not WRAP around them tightly, mind you, but it should touch the teeth, and the back of the lips should slightly go over the top of the teeth. Check and see if you're forming your embochure this way.

Van

2. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I do too! *pout* :cry:

Harrumph! You're the one that goes around caning your students....

Lara :evil:

3. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    It is an air pocket. And silverstar thanks for the advice, but it also puffed before I got my braces off.

4. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Hmmm....

How much does it affect your playing?

I don't know if this'll help much, but try to lower your jaw just a little and see if that helps. Don't jut it out, just drop it a little as if you were singing 'ahhhh'.

If you can't seem to fix it, maybe you can look into playing with it and using it as an advantage. I know that our lead trumpet player at school has an air pocket in his upper lip when he plays and he's just learned to deal with it...he's got some chops! :shock:

Anyway, I hope that my posts were helpful...and let me know of Van ever canes you. He'll be in BIG trouble if he does! :twisted:

Lara

PS~ you don't have to call me silverstar...it's easier to type Lara. :-P

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Embochure issues can be a touchy subject for some. I have met players who play out of the CORNER of their mouths play pro, do fine. I have met the 50/50 center players who play AWFUL. The quest is to find what makes trumpet playing feel comfortable. I don't think you're there yet, Andrew, and I personally think the air pocket has something to do with it. It can be all of your troubles, or just step one. Isn't trumpet playing fun?

I'm more than sure now that I missed mentioning the lips sealing the teeth, so the air doesnt want to escape in the pockets. He'll also have to start aiming further up. A lot of thought has to go into it when you're fixing something embochure wise.

We'll see what we can do this evening.

*Putting cane in backseat*

Van :twisted:

6. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Van, I swear...if you cane the poor boy you will be very sorry! I have some moistened bamboo sticks here just calling for your fingernails! :evil: :twisted:

Lara

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Y'know, I'm going to name my cane... Lara.

:D Van

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Van,
    I got your back man, did a 2 yr stint as a bouncer and have a martial arts background. I say use the cane!!! Spare the rod, spoil the child!! Beat it into 'em! :-o lol. Bring it Lara!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! :-P :-)

*sidenote: I do not condone voilence or abuse. :D :grouphug:

9. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I thought about taking up boxing over the summer (Frosh year has pudged me up a bit, haha), but instead will take lessons with some NSO members (Still working it out, though).

I used to use a sledgehammer on an old, ugly tree out in the woods, trying to chop it down. Thats a good workout, hahaha. :D

Van

10. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    I weight train and I know some pretty sweet self defence moves...though I don't think I know what they are called...

I'll name my cane (I have a cane that I use when I'm babysitting)...Van.

:evil:

By the way, didn't your mommy ever tell you that violence wasn't the answer?

Lara :D