Braces...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, May 5, 2005.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Now boys (and girl), am I and my cadet friends gonna have to step in to bring the peace? You're supposed to be setting an EXAMPLE for young Andrew here. This means Van, no beating the pupil. Think how we'd have reacted if we'd have been beaten. This should satisfy Lara, and keep me and Bear in TX (which is good because I have a calculus 3 final tomorrow that's gonna tear me a new one and then some). Comprende?

Now, for the actual matter at hand. First, I'm assuming we're referring to an air pocket here. I think you might be well suited to remember to relax when you play. Don't try to force anything. Just hold the horn to your lips enough to make a solid buzz. You might also be trying to smile when playing the horn. Just keep the corners tight, and allow the air to flow. It's kinda hard to really say what to do because 1) I can't see you play, and 2) I don't really know enough.

Further advice: Anytime Manny offers advice, listen to it. It's amazing how much it can help sometimes.

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    *Nod*

I was hoping to see a response from Manny, Pops, or one of the other big fellas who lurk about here. :D

I want to learn Krav Maga, truthfully. You need to learn how to disarm a guy with a knife, and "Singing Monkey Form" doesn't sound like it would work as efficiently.

Van

3. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    So, how's it going DoubleG? Have you figured it out yet?

Or has Van beat you senseless with his cane named Lara?

I hope it is the former and not the latter....

Lara

4. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    The pocket is going down and I'm attempting to switch to this "new" (meaning piece of crap) Lasky mouthipiece Van gave me and that seems to be helping a bit too. I kinda wish Manny would give a respones to this topic. If the principal trumpet of any orchestra tells something he/she is probably right about it.

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Haha, the piece was about three years old when I got it from my last instructor!

Its still a greta piece, it allows you to really work on tone, since the piece is not as forgiving. All this, but it still feels good on the face, thanks to the rim size.

Had to stop giving lessons for the summer. The band director would not give me a band room key, and no place aorund town would let me teach there.. :cry:

Van

6. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Does that mean your cane is in retirement?

Let's have a party! :evil:

Lara

7. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Van,

Have you checked into using a church? I teach at a church during the summer months and they are very accommodating. Check around they might surprise you.

Warren