Braces :\

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tonybaloney, Nov 4, 2008.

1. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    I am getting my braces off soon. and I am very afraid that my embouchure is going to get messed up. I have had braces for all the years I have been playing trumpet.

Will My embouchure be messed up? and if so, will the 'road to recovery' be long and grueling?

2. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I got used to no braces in 2 months.

3. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    It may take some getting used to, but as long as you have a good teacher to help you make the adjustment, I'm sure you will do fine.

My son got his braces off yesterday. I was thinking he might have to give up his seat in the orchestra, but he was able to play through Beethoven's Symphony No. 8, mvt. IV last night with little trouble at all. It's a fast piece with lots of B's & C's above the staff!

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Here's whats going on! the braces have stretched your lip muscles to fit the braces. Now they are very loose which may lead to bruising because you may not be able to tighten your lips. I have my students wait about two weeks before any real playing. You can start now with some easy low notes for about 15 minutes at a time. DO NOT try to play what isn't easy for your lips! If no sound comes out wait to play until you can get a sound. Don't be concerned with how it may sound just play real easy. If it feels like you are mashing your lips, STOP and wait a day. Stop BEFORE you get tired. If you still have your 1st year band book, start on page one. Do the 15 minute session several times a day with say at least an hour of rest in between. your lips will feel very different from what you are used to. Put the mpc in the center of your lips and over the next rwo weeks your lips will find the right spot. DO NOT force the mpc to a specific spot! DO NOT try to force your upper range. As your lip muscle adjust to playing with out the braces your range will come back. you will know when you are ready to play the upper notes. By using a sensible approch, your lips will come back stronger, quicker. let us know how you are doing. Stay in touch.

Bob G

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    To trumpet dad. It's rare but I've had a few students who where able to play right away. Your son is very lucky most students have problems.

Bob G

6. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    I have a 3rd trumpet part of these hymns which none of them go over the A on the staff.

Should I play that

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I second the idea of taking a week or two off if you can. It's good to let your face get used to how it feels without all the metal and everything in there! Then when you come back to the trumpet, focus on a full, relaxed breath (with no hesitation before the attack) and start with long tones in short sessions. If you have a teacher, he/she can help move on from there as you progress. Don't force the high register and have patience...you'll be playing well soon if you don't get in too much of a hurry to play everything you did with the braces.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

In addition, these should be low tones played as softly as posible while maintaining a constant volume and totally controlling the intonation. This will assist in building lip musculature while forcing you to play with absolute minimum mouthpiece pressure.

OLDLOU>>

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes, That is fine. The rule of thumb here is don't play anythig where you have to force or strain Remember you are using your facel muslces just like an athlete uses the muscles in the rest of their body. Just use common sense and you should be fine.
    Stay in touch.

Bob G

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tony,
    If you can take a month off from ensembles after getting the braces off and play a lot of easy tunes, long tones and slurs VERY softly, you should have no problems. The problems start when you have to "perform" right away., You bend your face out of shape to "squeeze" everything out that worked before.

Plan a dedicated transition period. Make it 90% pianissimo and you will be just fine! Don't worry about high notes. Get your slurs going cleanly and fast with little pressure. This can be a great opportunity!!!!