Braces :\

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tonybaloney, Nov 4, 2008.

1. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    Well I can't really take a break from ensembles because I take band as a class. We play grade six music too, so its going to be hard to avoid not playing challenging music. Well, I guess I can ask to play the third part for a while.

The director is a nice guy, I'm sure he will see it to be reasonable.

2. tonybaloney

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    I have been without braces for one and a half weeks.

I have been playing lip slurs and pedal tones. I have been also taking the time to re-work my embouchure and start with a brand new one. I used to play 1/3, now working on 2/3.

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    If you want to hear about my experience. It was nothing but immediately positive getting my braces off. I remember my first feeling in my mouth after they were off. It felt like there was something missing. I felt like my teeth were missing since my lips were so used to resting on that horrible metal.

Though in just 3 hours I got used to it and within 4 hours of getting them off, I played the trumpet, and immediately better than ever. Tonguing, range, tone, slurs, at was all immediately better. I think that you should give it a try right off. Good luck.

4. tonybaloney

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    Well, I haven't just been playing lip slurs and pedal tones. I have been working on other stuff, like band music and jazz band music because my school has a concert on Sunday.

All the stuff you listed have been better for me. Without the braces my lips feel free and don't get indentations of where my braces were on my lips.

5. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Tony,

I'll do my best to be direct.

Yes, your embouchure will change. Follow the advice by more experienced members of this forum. If you have the resources, get lessons from a teacher that wonts to get involved with your improvment.

Will it get "messed up?" It will seem so for a time. But if you have a good teacher or follow the advice of those more knowledgeable than I on this forum, it will improve.

"Will the 'road to recovery" be long and grueling?" Is a big question.

That question will be something only you and your spirit will answer. You have already known success in that you like to play and enjoy what you do. Please, be patient. You can be just as successful again. Accept that initially things have changed. Then just as when you started, give your considerable thought and enthusiasm to PROGRESSING.

As you make progress during the transition, and if you appreciate your own effort, God-given talents, and the advice of teachers then I think when you look back on it it will not be grueling.

If you expect in three days to be where you were at just before the braces were removed, then it will be long and grueling.

I wore braces for several years. It sucked. I play now. Not professionally. But I never feel embarrased about my abilities or limits. You'll get there.

Hang tight,