braces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jonathansedlacek

jonathansedlacek Pianissimo User

Jul 23, 2011
    hi everyone i am getting braces in September i am a lead trumpet in my schools jazz and symphonic bands and i dont want to loose my spot
    any tips that would help when i get braces would be great
    thanks

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Expect some discomfort, maybe a little blood. Reduce the mouthpiece to mouth pressure if you need to. Above all, stick with it - everyone I know who has persisted with trumpet, during braces, emerged a better player.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Braces is a wonderful time to work on technique. Don't be surprised if your range etc. suffer from the braces, but remember this is not a race it is to become the best you can be in spite of the obstacles life hands us.

4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    it will require an adjustment period. You'll have to reduce the pressure for sure (which you should do anyway). You are the lead for a reason. It's because you have worked hard to get there. You will have to practice hard to make the adjustment and your range and endurance will suffer initially, but in time you'll adapt and it will help you in the long run. By avoiding the use of pressure, you'll really build up your endurance. Unfortunately there is no shortcut, it will take time and practice. Be patient and persistent.

5. jonathansedlacek

Jul 23, 2011
    well the reason is that i am lead trumpet is definitely not my technique
    i didn't realize how much mouthpiece pressure that i used until i tried to fix it and man is it hard to break a habit. do you have any suggestions that will help with mouthpiece pressure?
    thanks

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Clarke Technical Studies... read the text that goes with each exercise and follow the instruction.
    play them SOFT...

Etude #9 at mp on your 3C should do the job.

7. jonathansedlacek

Jul 23, 2011
    cool thanks

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've worked with many students that have had braces. You might be one of the lucky few who don't have many problems with them, but the majority of students do. The is a short adjustment period. My students take about two weeks to make the adjustment. Of course they have me to help keep them out of trouble and lead them through it. The timimg for getting the braces couldn't be worse. If you had them put on over the summer you would be ready to play by now. As is you'll have some pressure on you to play as you are a section leader. You could get into some really bad habits that will effect your playing if you are not careful.

The best thing you can do is find a teacher who has experience with braces. If they say just grin and bear it, find someone else.

I have an article on braces and trumpet playing I can send you, if you would like it. You can contact me through my web site. best of luck.

9. Teledmd

Teledmd New Friend

Jul 20, 2011
    Let me give you a few tips as you start the process of playing with braces. I remember very well when I got my braces and playing through the process. I also am a dentist so some of what I will tell you comes from knowing about orthodontics.

First, take it slow and don't get discouraged. When you first get the braces, you will feel like you will never be able to play. Work on easy long tones with little effort. Pay special attention to how you place the mouthpiece on your lips. Because of the braces you cannot make any small adjustments to your embousure once you are in a playing position.

Remember that after each adjustment your orthodontist makes, you will be sore for a few days. Plan your ortho visits so you do not have any important playing to do for a few days.

Lastly, remember that your mouth will be changing throughout your treatment. The positions that you hold your trumpet will change as you teeth move and you will need to make adjustments throughout the process.

It is possibile to play lead with braces. I did it. It just takes patience and experimentation. You will start out slow and may not be able to play anywhere close to the level that you do now at first. After a few months you will come back. Once you learn to use the braces, your range may even improve!

Also remember that after the braces come off, you will go through an adjustment phase again, bit it is a lot easier.

Good luck.

10. jonathansedlacek

Jul 23, 2011
    thanks for the advice everyone