braces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jonathansedlacek

jonathansedlacek Pianissimo User

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    I got braces yesterday. Today I played with the high school symphonic band, in which I am second chair. I had no idea how bad i would sound and how much my range would decrease. If you have any exercises that would help with getting used to the braces, they would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have one question, Can someone explain the whole concepts of using more air and blowing faster air to hit higher notes? I have been told to do this, but never told how. Any tips that you have are welcome also.
    Thanks.

2. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    I got braces right after I started playing. Didn't stop me, I played till I was well past bloody. You'll have to build up some calluses but you'll be sounding normal in no time. Practice like normal. As far as using more air, I think what is meant is using more air pressure. I accomplish this simply by tightening my abs. It's quite a workout, but using just your abs like that seems to make that upper register fall into easy reach.

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Try putting dental wax on your braces. It helps out a lot by smoothening the surface on the braces. (usually, its hard to play because braces are rough) Ask your orthodontist if you don't have wax.

4. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Ah good suggestion, I'd forgotten about that obnoxious crap.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I hated that wax. I just got all bloody lips and built up calluses. It was harder to play once I got them off. Just suffer with them for a few weeks and it will be normal soon.

6. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Having bloody tshirts from practice makes you prouder of your abilities later on anyhow.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    But people tend to ask questions if you have a bloody t-shirt.

8. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Not suggesting for one second, that you change mouthpieces, but Greg Black does make 'BP' model that is specifically for people who wear braces. The blurb on it would suggest it helps, perhaps you could speak to him. If you visit his site I think there is a phone number. Alternatively you could contact Richard Szabo at Zaja Music who also collaborated with Greg Black to tackle this specific problem.
    By the way, I'm not in any way connected with any of the above, I just have been to both their sites looking at trumpet mouthpieces. Hope the info helps and good luck!

9. jonathansedlacek

jonathansedlacek Pianissimo User

Jul 23, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Just one more question, what are some bad habits that i should look out for when developing my embouchure with braces?

10. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Mouthpiece placement. Keep it centered, many times I've seen people cant it off to the side where it isn't as painful, and watch your air support.