Braces.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jaguar723, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jaguar723

Jaguar723 New Friend

May 20, 2015
    US
    (Not sure if this is the right section to post this in)... Hi I'm a sophmore in high school and I just got my braces taken off yesterday and I had an extremely hard time playing my trumpet earlier today in band class. This was the same thing that happened to me when I first got them on. Do you have any tips on how to fix it or will it fix itself over time?

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Been there, done that. Its a change and just like when they went on, you will adapt to having them off. Congrats on your new, straighter look. In the long run you are better off now and the change should net you an even better ability after the adjustment period. Prepare to be wow'd. Best wishes.

3. Greenshield

Greenshield New Friend

Dec 6, 2015
    Nebraska
    I went through the same thing during highschool. Work on the fundamentals and don't panic, it'll come back to you with some time and practice.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Prior respondents have said what needs to be said, and I too have been there also. I'm now 79 yo approaching 80 and have also undergone change to nearly full dentures as again required a complete rebuild of my embouchure which I believe I've accomplished to now play near the best I ever played ... and sometimes I feel I now play better ... but lay back to consider I'm now playing more complex music than I did prior. Just as an example, I cannot remember anytime prior that I played grace notes or duplets, but now they are common in what I'm playing.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is the wrong place for this. Wilmer died last year. This section of the forum is more like a memorial.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Just don't get in the habit of substituting left-arm pressure to make up for what you had whilst the appliances were in.

Patience, young grasshopper.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You are entitled to your personal opinion even though I disagree. Wilmer brought wisdom to this forum and I don't believe that legacy should ever end where others can offer such wisdom from their experience in Wilmer's absence.

8. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    What did you do the first time to adjust with braces getting on? Is this adjustment any harder? If not, then do what you did last time. If that was nothing, do nothing and let it sort itself out.