Brain fried! ROWUK!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by G-man-, Dec 15, 2011.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Slow but steady goes the turtle...

You cannot learn to play all the notes overnight. Start in the middle of the staff and practice exercises in that area. Over time expand the range of your exercises up a half tone, and down a half tone. As you get comfortable, expand some more, a half tone at a time.

In a few years you will be playing from low F# to high G, and in a few more you will be playing even higher.

Being in a hurry won't do it.

Slow and steady wins the race.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Most trumpet lore is based on symptoms of good playing, rather than the cure of bad playing. My best lessons have come from emulating bad students and reverse engineering. Works sometimes.

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

What happens when you use reverse engineering on a reverse leadpipe?

Inquiring turtles want to know.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Said well and well said! :-)

turtlejimmy likes this.
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, ROWUK is brain fried - I know this first hand! He has been this way for most of his life. It actually gives him a fresh look of the brain dead............

I have no one XDed. I am Anal about the cart before the horse. I want the manure behind me.

I don't give or have hope for Internet lessons. At least not how I teach. I start with the body, not the horn and even great webcams do not give me the contact that I need.

My approach is breathing/body first, long tones second, lipslurs third, easy tunes fourth. The first year of lessons is: I play first, the student plays back. Setting players up this way saves me a lot of talking. The students have a sound model in their heads, see me breathe and emulate that and best of all, I get them paying gigs if they pay attention.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    THAT is where the rubber meets the road!!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You can't think about it. You can't read about it. Learning to play the trumpet doesn't work that way. I'll say it again.LEARNING TO PLAY THE TRUMPET DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. You nedd to get with someone who not only knows how to play but how to teach. You've already got some misinformation that is messing you up. GET A TEACHER! Look up my web site.

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I deleted much of your post (in quotes) in order to address what i felt was the main inaccuracy in the advice given you.

While there may be a few cats who can play high notes with loose corners these type are among the minority. In fact I'm going to project that those who can play with "loose mouth corners" are among the gifted type. Probably the kind who can blow with dry lips. Either one lip or both dry. As such the contact they get on the rim of the mouthpiece is so far superior for blowing extreme register that they do not need firm mouth corners.

The rest of us will need very strong "corners" and facial muscles. Hence the popularity of the P.E.T.E. and pencil exercise.

To understand why we may or may not need firm mouth corners is to understand the basic physics of the blow. Few people know of these.

So by all means FORGET the advice of "playing with loose mouth corners".

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But, there is a problem in that many don't know where the corners ARE. The are not where your lips end. They are just outside the mouthpiece over your eyeteeth.

10. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback.

Far as I can tell, my sound is great all the way up to top line F. I just cant play from 4th line D-F for any period longer than 60 seconds. I play D-e-f-e-d-e-f-e-d after 60 seconds the F is gone. After another min the E becomes hard as I feel my throat tensing up due to mouth being finished.

I know when I play C-D-E (3rd space and up) I try to keep the inside of the mouth open like when I play low c... that relaxed way to keep as much air coming out as possible to get a full rich sound. When the back of my tongue creeps up to play high, I also notice the sound gets thinner... so I consciously try to open it up inside my mouth to get a full sound like when I am playing low C.

Far as I can tell, I get great sound, just my endurance sucks. After 12 months it is no better than before. So this is what I dont get and why. I no longer roll lips in, but still, as I go higher, the pink on lips that shows on low C gets thinner and thinner as I ascend and also gets harder around the front of mouth. Is that fine? I tend to pull it in like a rabbit (I guess this is eye teeth?) I dont generaly stretch the mouth like a smile as that helps me none, its more or less done at the front like a rabbit... is that right to?

Maybe I am not even playing wrong, *shrugs*