Brand new to the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by georgefloto, Dec 14, 2011.

1. georgefloto

georgefloto New Friend

Dec 11, 2011
    I have been playing an Alto and Soprano Sax for about a year.

Just got an old Trumpet from Ebay,

An 'E.K. Blessing' from Elkhart In.

It had a split down what I think is called the leadpipe. Just after the part where the mouthpiece attaches.

I patched it with clear packing tape and it seems to be holding the compression.

I got a few sounds out of the horn, that I would call C, D, E, F, and G, when I am blowing at a moderate rate.

When I try to increase the volume by blowing a little (Faster/Harder), the C, and D, sound pretty good, but when I press the 1 and 2 valves for the E, the sound doesn't change, the sound (F) will sound but not great, going from the 1/2 to the 1. then when I open all valves the sound just is destroyed, unless I apply a lot of air.

Any suggestions,

Do I still have compression problems in the valves?
    Is it just me with my lack of experience?
    Is this common to beginners?

Thanks, George

PS: I am having a blast trying to make sounds with this horn.

2. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    It might be an embouchure issue or a trumpet issue. Try to find someone experienced with trumpet in your area and talk to them. Also, finding a teacher would be A LOT of help. Its good that you are having fun with the trumpet!!! Welcome to TM!!!

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Welcome to TM!!

I think you may have a leak somewhere. With a crack in the leadpipe I would say find a new horn. You can get F.E. Olds Ambassadors for a really good price, under $100. All over ebay. I would find someone in your area that plays trumpet, see if there is a community band and ask one of the trumpet players if they would help you. I think they would. Good luck and :welcome: to TM!

Having problems is very common for beginners.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Haha, sounds like a lot of fun trying to make sound on that horn!
    I don't think the horn is helping, but I switched from flute. Making sound on trumpet, let alone actual music, can be a bear your first few weeks. Try not to force it, it'll come in time. Having a knowledgeable person help you in person is a great idea.

Welcome to TM! :)

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    First take the horn to a repair shop and have them look it over. Then find a good teacher. Check out my web site.

6. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I bet that was the best choice you ever made!ROFL

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Best choice for who? Him or us? Sorry Mark, just kidding.

George, hang in there. I like the idea of having the horn checked out. Leaky spit valve seals or bad lead pipe joints can make progress hard and you dont need any extra handicaps. Have fun and let us know how its going from time to time. Best wishes.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    A crook horn will put you off quicker than anything I know - get it checked, repaired, and serviced.

Find a tutor.

Play music with the rest of us.

Welcome to the fascinatingly, wonderful, mysterious world of trumpet.

I just started too - eleven years ago - so much to learn - so little time.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Sir James Galway- Official Web Site
    maybe NOT!!
    George -- my friend -- WHY?, why would you switch from a woodwind to one of the most demanding instruments out there -- DUDE are you serious??? In any case, as long as you are serious --- keep in mind that it takes time to develop the "embouchure" for the trumpet, find a competent player to test the horn you got, and a teacher --- and stick with it ----.......and who knows??? well that's the point --- you will never know you can play the trumpet, until you do --

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The biggest difference is that YOUR LIPS are the reed now.... It takes a lot of practice to develop the chops... and then alot of practice to keep them in good shape.

Oh yeah... the crappy horn with the hole in the leadpipe is not working in your favor either.