Brand new to the Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by georgefloto, Dec 14, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    DUDE -- you just differentiated the difference between a woodwind player and a trumpet player --- the trumpet player has to KEEP practicing after he THOUGHT he learned how to play in the first place---- use it or lose it ----------WHAT A TOUGH LESSON ---ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, get a teacher, get a better instrument, and practice.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Either replace the lead pipe or ditch the horn. Especially now so early in your career is it the time to have handicapped equipment. Stay with us and we WILL help you throught your problems AND boost the economy. Watch out for the N + 1 Club!!!

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Love the challenge -- best decision I ever made =)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh Hhh moment KT. Love the way you were able to "reed" between jiarby's lines. And I agree jiarby, WELL STATED. See dear newest member, how great advice can be here on TM.

6. georgefloto

georgefloto New Friend

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks to all.

I was able to, in a fashion "to play", Skip to my Loo. What a suprise, even though it sounded weak, the notes were reconizable. I am so happy that I decided to try the Trumpet. I scheduled a lesson next week. I wanted to be sure I could make sounds, before spending more $$$. I have been reading that Olds Ambassador and Reynolds are good choices for inexpensive beginner horns. I'd appreciate any suggestions a Trumpet around $100. One more step before I commit to more $$$.

Thanks again,

George

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Yes. Cracked leadpipe=bad.

And perhaps your valve pistons are in the wrong casings and/or they aren't each facing the correct way in the casing?

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have a Reynolds Medalist -- from the mid 60's -- it is well worth a $100 ---mine plays well, valves are tight, and it has good sound -- and it is 50 years old --, old trumpets are good trumpets (at least OLDS and Reynolds, and KINGs)