Brass Arrangments of Nirvana

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Can I do it? I'm thinking its going to to be an adventure in very American styles, I'm thinking its Jazz...with the modern changes, at same time under-scored with some very classical chords- its minor with major in its own way.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I've found that doing Rock with brass can be either very good or very bad.
    Go for it! Here's to it being the former.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    And I think Nirvana mainly stays within classical parameters. You're probably right about it being in minor, with i, iv, V, and whatever else they use. I doubt they use much more modern chords than seventh chords (V7, vi7) for most of it. If you try to play it on piano you'll see mostly seventh chords, I believe.

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I mean, there are definitely groups that pull it off (first time I heard stairway all the way through it was a horn ensemble - oy)
    I think there are bands/songs that lend themselves to different versions, but to be honest I can't see Nirvana working with brass. Maybe I like Nirvana too much the way it is (sorry Kurt)
    If you have a sound in mind though, I'd go for it because the song never played is the one you remember

6. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Cobain used sus4 chords reasonably frequently (the intro to Smells Like Teen Spirit for instance).

7. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Ya, Cooler Dave, that is not a very good arrangement! I think that something has to be added to a lot of the Cobain charts to round them out for brass, otherwise they sound thin.