Brass Band Etiquette.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Just wiggle your toe inside the shoe. That can help you without affecting others.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Oh, by the way, there is one way of avoiding tapping your toes and annoying the conductor: Tap your heels. Works just as well, and the conductor can't see who's doing it (on a resonant stage, the sound carries better than tapping your toes). In the right piece, doing it with an individual note will give the band the added bonus of sounding like a class of 49 six-year-olds trying tap-dancing...

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The THONG Sock has actually found a sound market!!! I always knew someone would buy them.

Recycle those old socks with holes in the Big Toe - don't throw them out, give them to fellow musicians as a Birthday/Christmas present.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wearing baggy paints also tend to dampen the tap.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I agree with most here - try to avoid the really obvious tap - especially if your timing is out. Big Band is not an issues, but concert band or orchestra can be more of an issue.

If a fellow section player is tapping noticeably, then it can throw your own counting out. Try tapping along and counting to Masada... that's where I really had issues with tapping, best to learn to control the wild tap when seated.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Do you not read previous posts?

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Here's why not to do it - it's distracting.

And many people are feeling the beat but it doesn't translate physically to what their feet are doing, so many actually tap, visually, out of rhythm. That can be really distracting to players around you, and more so from the podium if there's a sea of that going on. It's also likely to throw off some less experienced adjacent players if they're not accustomed to locking into the beat, themselves, regardless of what's going on around them. Also, like it or not, it's interpreted by many viewers as being a bit "hay seed"ish.

This.
    I believe channeling the flow of the music and its emotion should be felt in the body, if not somewhat outwardly expressed (or "released"). But for reasons I just gave, somehow foot tapping just doesn't seem to fall into that category. I developed many years ago this foot tapping inside the shoe. Once you get it down, it works just as well as moving the entire foot.

. . . but not if you're wearing red shoes. Otherwise, you'll wind up in Kansas.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Wow - all my conductor says is - "please stop counting out loud, everyone can hear you" -- I replied, "sure, but then how are you going to know what beat your on?" ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    The only thing that really annoys me is when people conduct the beat with their trumpet while playing. Holy cow that's annoying!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    In parades they want me to stay in step - yet the rest of the season they don't want me to keep the beat with my feet ---- they can't have it both ways ROFL ROFL ROFL