Brass Band Etiquette.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Not when I'm reduced to reading TM on my tiny little phone screen.......

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Recently my orchestra has been playing a symphony where we're resting without easy cues for about 100 or so bars, then have a very obvious solo entrance for trumpet. The piece is very fast at that point, conducted at one beat per bar, and about 100 beats (bars) per minute. The trumpets share in the counting (just in case one of us misses a bar or three), and to keep synchronised we're having to voice the count as gestures have been distracting the players around us who are equally under pressure for their own parts. The orchestra is playing loudly enough at that point that we're probably not audible to the audience. Our conductor hasn't told us not to.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
  4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You've been told. So....

;-)

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
  6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I was in Brent Cross Shopping Centre, many years ago, and saw Hank Marvin in the car park. Having been a Shadows fan for years, I thought I should say something. "You're Hank Marvin". I said. He smiled and replied, "Yes, I know".

Not my finest repartie!

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    A friend of mine was with me at Heathrow Airport when we saw somebody who looked like Andrew Strong from The Commitments. My friend who isn't shy went up to him and said "you're Andrew Strong", to which the fellow replied in exactly what I recall Andrew Strong's voice to be "Yes, I get that a lot". My friend reckoned he said that because he was Andrew Strong, but it put a doubt into my mind.

--bumblebee

8. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    i was in high school and i was at ohare airport in chicago. i saw a schilke trumpet case outside a phone booth. (if you don't know what a phone booth is, it was a vertical glass box about 2 feet square and tall enough to stand up in.) i didn't want to gawk, but the person in it had his back to me so i could watch when he came out. when he did, i said, "you're bill chase!" he laughed and said, "yes, i am." he died later that summer in the plane crash.

more recently i was on vacation in canada and i saw a tall black man get off a bus. he had scar tissue in the center of his lips. i asked, "excuse me, are you jon faddis?" (apparently in the preceeding 40 years my conversational skills had not improved very much.) he said, "no, sorry." the lovely blond woman who was with him said sternly, "jon...." he sighed and let us take a picture. it turned out that we were staying in the same place and he and i were the only two people in the whole lodge who hated hiking. we had lunch a few times. a really nice man and extremely funny.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Quite interesting, to see how far off topic a thread can go...

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

I hope you're not tapping your foot as you type.