Brass Band Warm Up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 11thchair, Nov 2, 2006.

1. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    I have recently joined a brass band (Bend in the River Brass). 3 practices at this point. Last night they did a warm up that lost me. We did a 4 count C followed by a 4 count B followed bay another 4 count C. Then a 4 count C followed by a 4 count Bb followed bay another 4 count C. Continued down to an Ab. They had a name for it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Then they modified that with 1/2 the band doing the exercise without pressing valves. After I figured out what we were doing (about the "C","A", "C") I figured out that I had no idea how to make my cornet do this. I'm new to the cornet, not to trumpet. They had a name for this exercise also. Anyone know what it is? And how does one play these notes with an "open" position? Several seemed able to do this. Everything is pretty new to me - and with all the new stuff I was doing during the practice - I forgot about my questions about the beginning of the practice.

Thanks

2. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    They were doing a group lip bend exercise from the sound of it. Experiment at home,and see if you can change notes in the low register just using your lips. after a bit, you should find that it is not too hard, and has some benefits.

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    The first excersize is called "Remington" its basicaly just a flow study, there are lots of other variations off of it, but the main point is to start on one note (usualy a G) and strech, or flex, up and down chromaticaly expanding the strech by a half step each time.

The other one is basicaly the same thing except your stretching the lips even further by not using valves, basicaly lipping the note up and down so far that it sounds the new pitches. The version I know of this is called "Shwarmaaaa!", but just like the Remington, there are tons of variation of it.

4. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    Thanks for the replies. Remington was one of the terms used, as was bending. Presently it breaks. May learn to bend with time.

5. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I believe Remington has a couple of Warm Up or Drill books out, meant for Trombones, but apparently used by bands as well.