Brass Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rainbowboy023, Feb 24, 2011.

1. slixk

slixk New Friend

Jan 13, 2006
    Singapore
    I play in Singapore's Brass Society Brass Band.

I sit on the back row and enjoy myself. I used to play Soprano cornet for a short while in college.

Here's a clip of our concert opener of our recent concert.

YouTube - George Allen - Knight Templar (March)

I use a Getzen custom copper bell cornet and a wick 4.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I've been hooked on brass bands ever since I studied at Edinburgh University and was permitted - as a very raw trumpet student, in my first year of learning - to play with Kinneil Band (Kinneil Band). At that time, they had three rehearsals per week in normal times, and four to five before contests. They insisted on me coming not only to every rehearsal, but on coming an hour early so that I could get some tuition before the rehearsal. It was one hard time, but I've never looked back. Almost everything I am as a brass player now was learnt then.
    Since then, I've been playing Soprano in Stedfast Band, St. George's Band and Drogheda Band in Ireland, played Flugel in a few others. Since coming to Austria, I have been looking for British-Style brass bands, but in vain. There is one - Brass Band Hall - but it's so far away from me that I can't attend. An eight-hour round trip per rehearsal is not feasible. So I'm now stuck in a wind band with such crap as clarinets and flutes and saxes thrown in (although ours are better than average)... Anyone know of a Brass Band near Vienna, or want to start one?

PLEASE HELP!!

3. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, stormbill, you know when a clarinet sounds best?

When it crackles in the fire...

Cheers!

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Is any one of these considered "the best"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    nice clip slixk ..

6. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Hi coolerdave,

if you want to listen to the best among the best, go for Grimethorpe Colliery Band or Desford Colliery - they have the most recordings on sale and are among the ten best brass bands world-wide, IMHO.
    If you want the real brass band atmosphere of the eighties as well, go for the movie Brassed Off with Pete Townsend - it's as realistic as they could make it (and I've played in British brass bands in the Eighties), and the music is fabulous - Grimethorpe at their best.
    Otherwise - just get yourself a list of Championship Section Bands from the National Brass Band Association and check out their CDs.

And if you want to get a bit off the beaten track in Brass (though not in British Style Brass Bands), go for Mnozil Brass (there's a heap of stuff on YouTube - you really have to see them as well...)

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Don't forget Blackdyke either.

I played repiano cornet for 2 years in a better fourth section brass band in Southern England - that was a lot of fun, particularly when we had Derek Broadbent conducting us.

--bumblebee

8. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Hey guys,
    If you want too hear some brill brass band playing, buy the Album American Brass by Eric Crees. Its has his arrangement of West Side Story which is actually better than the original orchestra version! :D Get the Album played by the LSO Brass. Can't be beat. Maurice Murphy Playing as a power house as always and helping out the sop part for fun in some parts :D