Brass Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rainbowboy023, Feb 24, 2011.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Hello bumblebee,

sorry, yes - I forgot about Black Dyke. But it always really is a joy to get Derek Broadbent in. He actually once directed the only Bavarian British-style Brass Band ever to exist (it's defunct now or rather has changed back to traditional, which was the end of my engagement with them) and even wrote a march for them, which now lies unplayed in their vaults... together with a full Besson Sovereign set of instruments, which they now don't use, being addicted to rotary trumpets and lots and lots of clarinets...

I could howl at the thought!

2. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    No one in this band sucks. It is an extraordinary group. As far as I can tell the only thing they don't do well is publicity/promotion. Apparently they have a concert coming up but you don't know that unless you are clairvoyant or know someone in the band.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Grimethorpe is one of my favourites, but don't you mean Pete Postlethwaite? ;-)

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    World Rankings | 4barsrest.com

are your best bands.....

I know one or two players from Flowers band and woodfalls along with playing with Shrewton and Bath Spa, played under Stan Lippeatt a few years ago aswel :)

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, if you like a cumulative points-ranking system. In that system, an average band that competes constantly and does moderately well will rank right up there with a world-class band that competes only once every year or two. Similarly, two bands with comprable skills can be ranked at opposite ends of the scale depending on the number of contests played. Which is the better band, though?

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I was a regular listener to the trumpet channel radio until someone here posted this link:
    All Brass Band Radio
    Now I listen to this one the most.
    The thing I like most about the British Brass Band sound is the use of alto horns. They add a very sweet, mellow, - almost nostalgic sound that I really enjoy.

7. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Fair point.... I think the best bands have the best overal sound, blending well, good tuning and intonation along with an extreme range of dynamics and control, but at the end of the day its the listeners chose who they prefer

8. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Thought you might enjoy these :-)

YouTube - BROADBENT - THE GLORY OF CORY MARCH.wmv

YouTube - BROADBENT - MUHLEDORF MARCH.wmv

YouTube - BROADBENT - CENTAUR MARCH.wmv

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    thanks guys... lots to listen to here