Brass Construction

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gonzo479, Jun 11, 2009.

1. gonzo479

gonzo479 New Friend

May 9, 2009
    St. Clair Shores, MI
    Does anybody offhand know the brass wall thickness of a Bach Strad 37

Thanks,
    Jim

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jim,
    it changes depending where on the horn you measure it. The leadpipe and bell are not constant wall thickness. The rest of the horn doesn't matter because it is all short pieces of brass tube and solder. Any number that you get quoted is not qualified unless it is stated exactly where it is measured.

3. gonzo479

gonzo479 New Friend

May 9, 2009
    St. Clair Shores, MI
    sorry I should have clarified I meant the tuning slide

thanks,
    Jim

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Where on the tuning slide? At the sharp bends the material is thicker than elsewhere. That is why a D shaped tuning slide "sounds" different than a round or ovate one.

5. gonzo479

gonzo479 New Friend

May 9, 2009
    St. Clair Shores, MI
    I was thinking about a rounded tuning slide

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Rowuk would still need to know where on that tuning slide. The middle of the bend, at the beginning of the slide, or at the end, or somewhere inbetween?

7. gonzo479

gonzo479 New Friend

May 9, 2009
    St. Clair Shores, MI
    Ok guys I am confused. I am not talking about the diameter of the tube I am talking about the thickness of the actual Brass. Please help me get unconfused because I thought the brass sheet and tubes were the same thickness.

Jim

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

The engineers specify several thicknesses and alloys of brass for the making of most trumpets. When formed into a tube and then bent into a crook for a tuning slide, the material on the outside of the bend is stretched and on the inner side of the radius is compressed. Without cutting such a slide crook into pieces it would be impossible to get a thickness measurement.

OLDLOU>>

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That's what makes each trumpet an Individual; so try before you buy to get the best one of the bunch.:wub: That's the part we all love :wave:

I have never put a micrometer on a horn to help me pick the one I want. :grouphug: I talk to knowledgeable players and listen as much as I can.

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany