Brass in the Grass - brass festival in Toronto

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brassfest1, May 29, 2005.

1. brassfest1

brassfest1 New Friend

May 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi -

I'm posting to let everyone know about a new brass music festival being presented in Toronto (Canada) June 11 & 12 - see the description below for more details.

Lakeshore Arts presents
    BRASS IN THE GRASS
    Music & Art Festival
    Sat June 11th - 11am to 8pm
    Sun June 12th - 11am to 6pm
    The Lakeshore Grounds
    Kipling Ave & Lake Shore Blvd W
    South of the QEW

A two day FREE outdoor music festival featuring performances on 3 stages (main, youth and childrens’ discovery). Listen to swing, old jazz standards, Dixieland, classical concertos, blues and Latin rhythms. Something for everyone - with artisans, community tables, children's activities, strolling musicians and a midway. For more info: 416-201-7093, www.brassinthegrass.ca

Acts performing will include Canadian music legend Guido Basso; roots music great and Juno nominee Chris Whiteley; piano phenomenon Hilario Duran; outstanding French horn soloist Joan Watson; Alistair Kay, one of Canada’s finest trombonists; celebrated vocal band, CADENCE; the acclaimed Hannaford Street Silver Band, the dynamic and versatile Trillium Brass Quintet What may be of most interest in this forum is Primal Therapy, with four trumpet players doing music in the style of Chase.

To launch the festival, on the evening of June 10th, Lakeshore Arts is featuring the musical talents of the Hannaford Street Silver Band with guest artists Alastair Kay and Joan Watson, at a stunning gala event. The event will be hosted by CFTO’s Alicia Kay-Markson, and include a silent auction, appetizers and cocktails.

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    You would have to change the name of the festival if you were located in New York City :cool:

Wilmer

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hannaford Street Silver Band is not to be missed. Guido Basso is one of THE top flugel players around and featured on a lot of the Boss Brass recordings. Primal Therapy is the band that Brian Scriver of "GR" mouthpieces is with. Dang, wish Toronto wasn't so far away! Sounds like a "hoot".

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Why?? I think it is a great name!

5. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Same if you took the festival to London. 'Brass' has a somewhat different slang conotation!! :shock:

Regards,

Trevor

6. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Not to slide on over to the dark side, but Al Kay is not just one of Canada's finest trombonists, he is one of the world's best. My favourite concert I attended of his was a number of years ago when he played several cornet solos from Clark, Arban, etc., on tenor trombone.

Perfectly. :shock:

Here's a bio from Humber College:

ALASTAIR KAY (Department Head)

Private Lessons Trombone, Big Band, Intermediate Improv, Jazz Ear Training, Major Instrument Workshop

Al Kay is an extremely versatile trombonist, clinician, arranger, composer, and teacher. The list of artists that Al has worked with in his twenty-five years of professional experience reads like a "who's who" of the music business. In addition to playing lead trombone in Rob McConnell's Boss Brass, he has performed with great musicians such as Dizzy Gillespie, Buddy Rich, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Diana Krall, Mel Torme, Aretha Franklin, Al Jarreau, Diana Ross, Phil Woods, and Burt Bacharach. In 1997 Al was named Jazz Trombonist of the Year by The Jazz Report magazine.

Al is first call for most of the musical theatre productions in Toronto, including The Lion King, Fosse, Chicago, Ragtime, and Crazy for You. His classical performance credits include appearances with the Winnipeg and National Ballet Orchestras, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, the National Arts Centre Orchestra, and many small chamber ensembles, most notably, the True North Brass.  He is also a soloist, playing classical, traditional, and jazz repertoire with local jazz ensembles, concert bands, and brass bands.  His recording credentials include hundreds of television and radio jingles, television and feature film soundtracks, many musical theatre cast recordings, and dozens of jazz and classical records and CDs. Al has always enjoyed teaching, and in 1994, after twenty years of part-time trombone and ensembles instruction at various universities and colleges, he joined Humber College as a full-time faculty member.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Dave, Alain Trudel might be willing to argue the point on who is the best trombonist... at least in the classical literature. Pick up "Trombone Concerti" and give it a listen some time. I'm still in awe and my daughter can't believe he isn't playing a French Horn!

8. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I saw Alain Trudel and Al Kay play yesterday at the last Hannaford Street Silver Band concert of the season(actually, I played too with the amalgamated Hannaford Street Youth Band and Junior Band).

Al played several solos, some of his own arrangement. Al and Alain played on Sing Sing Sing as well for the last piece. It was a little "schlocky" but generally enjoyable and quite impressive. It was basically a high note wank fest for the two of them. :D [Al is the head of my department at Humber College so I figure I'm allowed to say that.] :lol: At any rate, it is no doubt that they are the pinnacle of Canadian trombone playing and they're right up there with Joe Alesi, Christian Lindberg, etc. Alain has the edge on classical and Al on jazz but they both cover the both sides pretty well.

Back to the original topic, I'm definately looking forward to the Brass in the Grass festival. I'm hoping to check out of few concerts.

BTW- what does "brass" mean in British slang?

9. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    A 'brass' is a lady of the night!!

Regards,

Trevor

10. brassfest1

brassfest1 New Friend

May 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I just wanted to drop a reminder that the Brass in the Grass festival is tomorrow and Sunday, with the gala happening tonight (Friday).

Hope some people can make it down and enjoy the music.

brassinthegrass.ca