Brass Pedagogy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 25, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    WOW! very very impressive, I just ordered my copy. The fact that the introductory rate is under $100 is amazing. I am counting the days til' it arrives.

Eric

2. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Hickman Book

I ordered a copy on Wednesday Oct. 4th and got an e-mail confirmation of shipment the next day. Typical Hickman!

When I ordered 11 volumes of his orchestral excerpts and was leaving on an extended trip and desired to have them with me, he sent them and I received them in two days! Had them for the trip to Colorado.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I think I've found a typo:-o

I am awaiting a reply from Mr Hickman about whether this is the case.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    To quote Lil Sis - "Wootness!"

Mine arrived this morning and at first glance, it is quite a prize! I look forward to having the time to actually sit down and read it. It seems like an incredible tool for all of us - teachers and players alike. Being hardbound, it sure looks purdy too. :D

Kudos to David Hickman.

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I am getting more and more excited about it the more people talk about it. There's no doubt that it will join the ranks of Arnold Jacob-ness!! :D:D "whootness" indeed!!

Eric

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    IT ARRIVED TODAY!!!! I am so excited to start looking through the pages (Let along reading it).

Eric

7. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Got mine a few days ago, and I think it's the best book on the subject of Trumpet Pedagogy that I have ever seen.

I have so many books on this subject, but Hickman's really is the one I have hoped for years would be done. He goes through any subject you can think of and cites what the various authorities have written- where there is general agreement and where there is disagreement, and why!

This book will be definitive. And don't take my word for it; Ray Mase and a bunch of others say so too!

8. someguy6

someguy6 New Friend

Sep 8, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hickman Book

I agree that this is a great must-have book. It is important to note that he does not simply give you his opinion on a topic, he gives others opinions in a balanced manner (there are typically two opinions on almost everything trumpet related).

Also, my Harrelson trumpet (my specific trumpet, not the trumpet model) is feature at the top of page 309. This trumpet is for sale in the Classified section of TM and TH.

-rob

9. someguy6

someguy6 New Friend

Sep 8, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hickman Book

I forgot the mention that people on TH are putting pressure on Dr. Hickman to re-release a version with color pictures. If you would be willing to pay more money for a color version, you might want to drop him a line in support of this idea.

Also, if you want an autographed copy, all you need to do is ask for it.

-rob

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    oh
    I wish I knew that (ah well, if they are put to colour then the black and white ones will be worth more in a 100 years!)