BRASS PLAYERS: Give your horn a bath!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by farnellnewton, Jan 23, 2011.

1. farnellnewton

farnellnewton Piano User

Jul 24, 2006
    Portland, OR
    oldenick likes this.
  2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    +1

I did this on my newly acquired 1994 Strad last month and it really opened up immediately. Also oil before and after EACH playing session- makes a huge difference, and apparently helps prevent build up on the valves. Takes 2 minutes...

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I don't know. I wash my horn yearly, but I put a few drops of oil in it at the lead pipe each week, and oil the valves every other day --- yes whether they need it or not, and still play almost 3 hrs. a day, and I don't have much "dirt" in the thing.
    I took it apart the other day - and other than some green slime in the leadpipe down to the first slide -- it was relatively clean.
    of course I go through a lot of valve oil, but I think that helps a lot.

hahkeystah likes this.
  4. Alasdair

Alasdair New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    Lowther Hills, Scotland
    Hmmm, I read something somewhere on the web that seemed to claim you don't need to clean your trumpet. The allegation seemed to be that trumpet cleaning is a capitalist plot to make us all buy cleaning kits and so forth!?

Lot of crap really, the idea of not ever cleaning your trumpet is, well, bogging to say the least.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, there is one person who seems to push the idea that horns do not need to be cleaned-seems like he even has a web video on it. I would think for every such opinion there are 10,000 that say clean the horn. One of the moderators recently posted about how his horn started giving him major issues and he fould the problem was it needed a cleaning.

As a kid, I remember that cleaning would often make me feel like I had a larger bore horn. Learned NOT to do it immediately before a competition -do it several weeks before as you want the horn to respond in performance like it has been doing in rehearsal.

Most of us have seen what comes out of a horn (especially the leadpipe) after going a lengthly period without cleaning. It makes pretty good sense that one would not want such crud to remain in the horn. Pretty much everything in life needs cleaning if it is used.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I clean my horns once a year and get very little crud out of them. But I never eat or drink anything before or while I play and almost always brush my teeth and rinse well with water before I start. Its not that Im against cleaning more often, its just that every individual needs to decide how often is right for them. If I were eating a ham sandwich durring a performance then I would probably clean a lot more often! Best wishes.

7. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
  8. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Watched the video. Looks like Monette uses vasoline for slide grease. There was a jar there at the "clean up" table. I've used it for 40 years and never had a problem other than sometimes it is too thick for the 3rd valve slide to move freely when you kick it out for intonation. Have used some of the Selmer slide grease too -works fine but is much thinner.

9. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    By the way, there is no one perfect timing formula for cleaning a horn. It is as variable as are players. In theory, it is a combination of time on the horn and how clean you keep your mouth before playing. As Larry says above, brushing your teeth beforehand can greatly cut down on what enters the horn. Some of the worse items to have just eaten are rice, nuts, corn. Rinsing the mouth several times before playing is important.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thats the nutjob at zachary brass. He was wailing on the "expense" of cleaning kits. Having said that, this guy must eat AND play at the same time. I've never gotten the kind of crud he shows in the video from any of my horns. Maybe it's my body chemistry.