BRASS PLAYERS: Give your horn a bath!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by farnellnewton, Jan 23, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Like Lawrence above -- I always brush my teeth before I play. and since I play at night, it has always been a few hours since I ate anything anyhow -- and definitely no sugar drinks. and lots of oil -- and I don't know if that helps or not --- but clean is good for the horn
    (that Zachary may be a nut job, but isn't the Zeuss horns that he sells supposed to be good horns???)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't know about Zeus horns.:dontknow:

3. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I'm pretty sure Monette uses Ultra Pure light slide grease as well as the U.P. oil, not vaseline.

4. farnellnewton

farnellnewton Piano User

Jul 24, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I need to start oiling my horn before and after I play as well.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yeah! that Zachary guy sells the Zeus Garnerius, and a couple of other models. That was what I was thinking of. I looked at the site and read some independent reviews awhile back --- they seemed like good horns, but that is as far as I looked into it.

ZeuS Guarnerius Olympus Trumpet Trumpets

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah I remember as a kid (who wanted to be a trumpet player and just starting out with it then) watching the Tonite show with Doc Severinsen and I am sure he said to "oil" the valves everyday "whether you think they need it or not", because that would take the dirt away, preserve the valves and the horn. Anyways that was once tip that seemed to stick with me all these years -- and I think it works.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I agree with you on that oiling thing....but we dont want our horns to last too long or we wont have a reason to get a new one. I oil often out of respect for an instrument that is far beyond my capabilities. If it could blush Im sure it would out of embarasment over my tiny ability. But oiling often is one way that I emerce myself in my hobby and I practice and get better in bits and smidgeons. I have fun playing and felowshipping with you on TM. Ya, Im pretty one dimentional but my vices seem tame when compared to what they could be. Best wishes.

8. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    ....but we dont want our horns to last too long or we wont have a reason to get a new one.

Hmmm, a reason to get a new one :?:, what a new thought :think: I never realized we needed an actual practical reason to get a new one :shock:. My wife will certainly be glad I know this now. ROFL

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Ya...I know we dont realy need a reason to get a new trumpet. When I wrote that last night it sounded funny to me then but I let it go through anyway. Best wishes.

10. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    It's simple hygiene guys. Once a year isn't going to cut it & you're opening yourself up to all sorts of nasties. Remember - this is your own health/wellbeing your messing about with here. Nothing worse than being an ill trumpet player on a gig.

If you're playing on a regular/daily basis, then...

Daily:
    1. Oil valves before & after (take the valves out of the casing & oil - don't oil 'in-situ")
    2. Swab Leadpipe out after finishing for the day (or night).
    3. Empty moisture out of all slides. Don't put a horn away 'wet'.

Weekly:
    1. Spitballs are great - once a week through the horn. They pick up any food particles etc., that may have found their way into your horn. (mmmm - that wedding buffet was soooo good!)
    2. Wipe & re-lube all slides with whatever your preference is.
    3. Brush clean mouthpiece with detergent/disinfectant.

Monthly:
    1. Disassemble all your horns & bathe in a warm (not hot), soapy solution. I use a non-abrasive scourer (white scotch pad) on raw brass to get rid of dirt.
    2. Clean all tubes and valves thoroughly with brushes & plenty of household detergent (the cheap ones tend to do great & aren't too aggressive).
    3. Leave horns to air dry & wipe over with a dry microfibre cloth before re-assembly.

Yearly:
    1. Chem/Ultrasonic clean at your local tech. They shouldn't take any more than about £30-40 for this (roughly $50-60). This will dislodge any 'hard' deposits like lime/calcium etc that may build up.
    2. Replace valve felts - if you have rubbers, replace them every 2 years.

You wouldn't go a year or even a month or a week without cleaning yourself would you?

You wouldnt eat with the same unwashed cutlery from yesterday?

It's not rocket science. Get a routine & stick to it.

All the best & happy cleaning!

:D