BRASS PLAYERS: Give your horn a bath!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by farnellnewton, Jan 23, 2011.

1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Yeah, and still a trumpet player's automotive babe magnet!!! ROFL

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Don't clean your horn? You've got to be nuts. The horn interior is a warm moist environment that encourages fungal growth ( a form of mildew in laymans terms.) An dthat is what you're putting into your respiratory and oral passages. Clean and brush it out more than once a month.:-P

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Especially with the pizza delivery sign strapped to the top! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you swab after you play, the main areas are dry. While cleaning the horn is a good idea, from a hygiene perspective, the mouthpiece is the only part I put my mouth on (can't speak for all players :-P) and it should be cleaned more frequently than the horn. I can honestly say I have never sucked the wind out of my horn. I did pose for a pic with it upturned and "condensation" rolled onto my lips. Did a lot of spit buzzing right on the spot!ROFL

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Work cancelled today due to the storm so I gave my horn a bath. I clean it every couple of months given the time. But, I meticulously floss and brush each time before I play. I believe that it has helped be go longer between cleaning without feeling "sticky" valves. On the plus side, my dentist was impressed how much my gums improved since the last check up. :-)

When I was a kid, I recall that feeling of getting a new large bore trumpet after a good cleaning however I do not get that feeling as an adult. I wonder why?

BrotherBACH

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So did you rinse with 91% isopropyl alcohol? See my post on page 3 for the evidence and reason this completes the cleaning process.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, but its the 91% isopropyl alcohol that removes the fungal growth. Please see my post on page 3 that demonstrates this concept.

8. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I really like and advocate something my teacher does. He told me to, using warm water, rinse my trumpet out everyday prior to playing. You end up playing on a new trumpet every day. Nothing is impeding your playing. It's the same everytime you play.

hope that makes sense.

9. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    roflroflrofl

Well, the icons didn't work, but that it hilarious!!!!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree that this should work in enhancing the sound of the horn, and it makes perfect sense. But this thread as I read it is confusing two concepts. My issue is addressing the point made throughout the posting as to "critters" in the horn. Simply washing with water does not solve this problem, and I posted good medical evidence demonstrating this concept on page 3 of this post.

So if the goal is to enhance the horn’s sound, compulsive washing seems to work from the input of individuals posting comments; however, if the goal is to remove the “critters” that collect in these freshly cleaned tubes, then a 91% isopropyl alcohol in the rinse cycle of the horn on a monthly basis is required to accomplish this task. I hope this distinction clears up the intent of my posts.

jbkirby likes this.