BRASS PLAYERS: Give your horn a bath!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by farnellnewton, Jan 23, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You ask an interesting question. The authors of the Chest article did study a total of 8 instruments, but they did not comment or specifically mention as to the plating of these instruments. Microbe growth however would be alone the internal surface of the brass tubing, so I would think it would be unlikely that the surface plating would have an effect on the protected internal environment of a brass instrument.

2. Terrizzi

Terrizzi New Friend

Oct 18, 2010
    Jacksonville FL
    Doesn't the silver plating go inside the horn also?

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I don't think horns are plated on the inside-just externally. Look down the leadpipe with the tuning slide pulled. One thing one has to be careful about using someone who doesn't plate horns for a living is to NOT get plating inside the valve casings.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, not really. This is an excerpt from a website that gives details of a silver plated horn:
    Many professional trumpets are silver-plated, so it is important that you know how to properly care for a silver-plated instrument. Additionally, it is necessary to keep the inside of your instrument clean, as acids in saliva will deteriorate the brass.

Read more: How to Clean a Silver Plated Trumpet | eHow.com How to Clean a Silver Plated Trumpet | eHow.com

5. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Wouldn't keeping the horn rinsed everyday prevent the critter build up? This I would hope to be in conjunction with a cleaning once a month.

Just sayin,

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The medical evidence published in September 2010 medical journal of the American Thoracic Society "Chest" using the highest quality N-of-1 analysis is clear: The answer is No. Only using 91% isopropyl alcohol in the final rinse has been demonstrated to adequately maintain critter control.