Brass Players Opinions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by huskybone, Dec 2, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, like I should be telling all sorts of people that I don't know and don't have a contract with, the things that I have learned in over 45 years of playing.

Huskybone, get on with your project. If you are making fair progress on your own and get stuck or have a question, PM me. I am not here to get you started though. I am sure that I could pass the course myself, but that is not the point here.

If you come up with a widget and want an honest opinion, you can also mail me details. I will sign a waiver up front saying that I will not use your idea for any commercial or non-commercial product. There will be no danger of stealing or disclosure to another party.

Cleaning a trumpet better requires:

1) mechanical safety (horn doesn't get damaged)
    2) environmental safety (mother nature doesn't get damaged)
    3) user safety (person cleaning doesn't get damaged - especially if a mess is left behind for mom to clean up)
    4) higher convenience than using the sink
    5) cleaner than using the sink and a snake
    6) better user experience (this is tough as I really like caressing my horn while cleaning it)
    7) cost effective solution

There are many solutions that fit these parameters. A bit of googling should make them apparent. I think this could end up being more chemistry than engineering though.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Spit balls" work well for the mechanical part (and are fun to aim at folk) and a bath in solution containing Vitamin C will eat the remaining crud, and the acid can be killed with a solution that contains baking soda. Cleaning trumpets is easy and fun--I'd like something to clean my garage!