Brass Quintet and Organ

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hags888, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    My brass quintet is programming a "Brass and Organ" recital for the next season subscription concert. And programming for this was difficult and got me thinking. How many original compositions are there for brass quintet and organ? There are plenty of great arrangements and transcriptions out there, but there doesn't seem to be very many original compositions...or at least, I haven't run across very many.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Here are some of the better ones I know of:

-Gigout: Grand Chor Dialogue
    -Campra : Rigadoun
    -Gabrieli

Scott

2. MrWho3421

MrWho3421 Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    I have an original composition for brass quintet and organ. I also have an arrangement of Te Deum for quintet and organ. Both are listed under the performance section of my website.

www.akbrasspress.com

I have a Bruckner piece for quintet and organ which will soon be released. I can expediate the process if you are interested.

Thanks!

Andrew Kissling
    www.AKBrassPress.com

3. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Are there any sound samples of your piece or your arrangements? I saw the PDF samples, which are nice. It would be great if there were 30-sec sample of the pieces too. Even MIDI samples would be good.

4. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  5. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    there is alot of 2-choir choral stuff from Schütz that lends itself to quintet and organ.
    There is a quintet in Germany called Harmonic Brass. They have their own arrangements too: http://www.harmonicbrass.de/
    Click on the american flag, then you will see on the left online shop and then at the bottom sheetmusic brass quintet and organ.
    I heard that they were looking for someone to sell their music in the states-anybody interested? I have several of their arrangements and many are very good!

7. CJH

CJH Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston, MA
    We're playing an organ and brass recital this Sunday and I have a couple of great newer pieces to recommend for you.

One is a brand new fanfare by Rob Bradshaw called "Courage of the Olympian" -- a very fun, bravura piece. Rob's website is http://www.robertjbradshaw.com/ where you can find out more and order a copy. Rob also shows up on this site from time to time.

The other big piece we are performing with organ is [SIZE=-1]Bruce Edward Miller's "Pluto: The Last Planet". It was written in the early 90's and supplements Holst's planets nicely to fill the Pluto-sized hole. Great piece, just try to ignore the scientific community's recent ruling on poor old Pluto :-(. Boston Brass recorded it on one of their cds. I'm not sure offhand where you can order a copy, but if you are interested I'd be happy find out for you.

These are both big, loud, impressive pieces that will really blow your audience away. If that is what you are looking for. Good luck and have fun!

And for anyone in the Boston area looking for something to do on the Pat's bye week, join us at 4:00 at the United Parish in Brookline, on Harvard St. just south of Coolidge Corner. Bala Brass and Susan De Selms, Organ. It will be good!

Chris
    Bala Brass
    [/SIZE]http://www.balabrass.org
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

8. JStrube

JStrube New Friend

Jan 18, 2006
    Milwaukee,WI
    It is an arrangement, but Strauss' Feierlicher Einzug (Solemn Procession,) for Brass Quintet and Organ, is a good one. I'm playing a brass choir arrangement of it on my graduate recital this year.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Depending on the midi file, it could hurt your sales. All of us here at TrumpetMaster are honest but it is too easy to turn midi into sheetmusic. Soundbites would be my personal preference. If the states is anything like Europe, a case of beer would get you several 30 second samples recorded well enough for a website............
    psssst: make sure the beer is delivered AFTER the recording.

10. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006
    haha! I have been working on getting a group together to play through them and record them. It's just putting hecktic schedules together. The files I have up there are midi files recorded as an MP3. At least noone would be able to steal it!