Brass Quintet and Organ

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hags888, Oct 11, 2006.

1. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Since you are here in the Twin Cities, you might want to consult with Dr. Baldwin at the U of M for ideas. He has a wealth of knowledge about brass choir and quintet pieces (with or without organ).

2. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks for the recommendations. And yes, I did tap Dr. Baldwin already. I was curious what all the TM'ers would come up with. I know about the Strauss, and there are plenty of transcriptions available from Gabrieli to Schutz. But, aside from the couple of "new" works for brass quintet and organ that were plugged (and I will definitely be checking those out soon), does anyone know of any others that are specifically composed for brass quintet and organ? Are there any old "gems" that I just don't know about? If not...then here is a great opportunity for composers, grants, etc.

If we want repertoire...we have to do something about it! That's what I say anyway.

3. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Scott
    Since you've already asked Dr. Baldwin, you might check with the music director at Wooddale Church in Eden Prairie. They have a super organ there, and have accumulated a lot of brass/organ music. They can also put you in touch with Paul Maybery, who used to arrange for them.
    Happy hunting!