Brass Quintet from CMU

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, Feb 28, 2013.

1. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
  2. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    The frenchorn adds a lovely texture to the overall presentation. I love french horns. I just might have to purchase one.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Hope you've enough life left to learn it well and are ambidextrous ... really gets tougher on a compensating horn flippin' pitch. I too find the pitch of F lays well in Latin music.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I wish I could have heard the Crespo piece--he almost chose me to teach his son trumpet when I was in Germany.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Is it just me... or does anyone else here on TM think that ONLY THE BEST musicians play in Pittsburgh! These guys keep the fabuloso on the Pittsburgh jazz scene.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's just you. There are great players all over the country and all over the world. Unappreciated, yeah, but amazing nonetheless.

7. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's nice to think we lead the world in musical excellence. I'm OK with delusional thinking :-)

I'm going to go see these guys play on Monday. If anyone else is from Pittsburgh.. they're playing Monday evening (8PM) at CMU (Kresge)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    YOU do lead the world in musical excellence... think again as to who owns the franchise on delusional thinking... if you want evidence go to this link: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f148/newbie-70811-17.html; and then read post 161 - QED

Wow, you are a lucky blessed man... Monday with this excellent group, and again on Saturday evening, March 23rd with the Eddie Brookshire Quintet at Little E's. Yes you are indeed blessed, and sane.

9. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It was a great show. Amazing musicianship and showmanship. They performed two sets. The first was more classical/lyrical pieces, but included some pieces from West Side Story. The second set was Jazz/Dixieland/Latin. Fun show and a great venue.

I'm planning on coming out March 23rd, Gary. Might not have the entourage this time though :-)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like a great experience. It will be a tough act to follow... to be sure. It'll be great seeing again. Maybe other TMers in the area reading this will join our friend? I know you're out there... Joe???