Brass/Trumpet repair books/guides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 20, 2011.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Hello There-
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books on trumpet/brass instrument repair. I'd like to try my hand at reviving some beat up old junk trumpets to see if repair is something that I could so someday on my own horns.

Thanks

2. tbaldrid

tbaldrid Pianissimo User

Oct 10, 2009
    There's Eric Brands Band Instrument Repairing Manual, which is a classic and available from Ferrees Tools or on Amazon. I have a PDF of another old manual someone scanned and posted on the net, can't remember where. It doesn't have a title page or author indicated anywhere, but it's very good. PM me with an email address if you want it. Be prepared to start buying tools. eBay is a good place to pick them up used.

Tom

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ditto Eric Brand, however using cyanide to kill acid and 111 trichloroethane to degrease have some green alternatives in the meantime. Buy some Ambassadors to practice on--you can either resell them or turn them into lamps (lamp conversion not covered in the Brand book).

Have fun, and keep us posted!

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I took an online course with the Colorado Institute of Musical Instrument Repair Welcome to CIOMIT | CIOMIT. Dan Parker was the course instructor and sets up the web link. The beauty of the course was that most of the cost was for the basic tools needed. Buffer, mandrels, Roth Dent Remover, burnishers, etc. The classes covers the basic skills necessary to perform basic repairs. I have already worked on several horns, bugles and a trombone (although I need to get the set of truing rods and cork pullers for the "bones". Best part is that I get to play a variety of horns after I work on them.

Gary