brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jonathansedlacek

jonathansedlacek Pianissimo User

Jul 23, 2011
    hi everyone
    is there any way to get the lacquer off of your trumpet if the finish is bad
    thanks

2. jonathansedlacek

Jul 23, 2011
    specifically a bach strad

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Use some water and ammonia... Put it in a tray for about half an hour, and peel of the lacquer.

4. jonathansedlacek

Jul 23, 2011
    will taking off the lacquer damage the trumpet in any way

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Nope, but your hands will smell and turn green after some hours of playing!

6. jonathansedlacek

Jul 23, 2011
    hmmmmm thats not good
    is there any way to repair the lacquer

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Whether your hands turn green depends on your body chemistry. I am lucky in that I do not react at all. I have a number of bare brass horns and can play them for hours/months and neither I nor they change color.

It is true that a stripped trumpet will require more maintenance even if you don't react. They will tarnish ("patina") over time so they must be periodically polished and waxed (this is to add a bit of protection). Some like the patina and just let them turn a dark color.

Personally, for a trumpet of the quality of a strad, I would have it professionally stripped, prepped and re-lacquered. But, if that's not in the cards, you can leave the lacquer on that is there and polish the bare spots so the missing lacquer is barely visible.

There are ways to re-apply a clear coat on the bare spots but before I go into all of that detail, give some additional details about where and how much lacquer is missing. Maybe a photo or two if you have them.

8. jonathansedlacek

Jul 23, 2011
    ok i have a trumpet that is in bad shape but i am thingking about getting one thanks for all your help

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There is a lacquer remover that I use and it works great. It's available from Ferree's band instrument repair tools co. It's a cold lacquer remover. You brush it on wait 6 minutes and rinse it off with water. The polish with brass polish.

I think raw brass horns sound better than lacquered ones. I use a hand guard on all my horns.

10. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    I Don't react with the brass really..but on particularly sweaty days (marching band season in SC so lately that's all of them) some of the tarnish will rub off on me. Though I haven't heard the same horn (tricolor olds special) with lacquer, I can definitely side with previous posts in saying that it has a very unique character.