"Brassed Off"

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I've heard about this film from several forums: it's about an English mining town, the town mine (about to be shut down), and the town band... played by Grimthorpe Colliery Band. In fact, I was so curious that I went and ordered the DVD which arrived today. So Mrs. Toots and I sat down this evening to watch it. Great music... no doubt about it.

BUT!..... the bloody thing is advertised as a COMEDY!??? What is so funny about people getting thrown out of work, running up horrendous financial burdens, families on the point of breaking up, individuals to the point of "utter despair", and an honorable gentleman dying of "black lung"?

I totally enjoyed the movie... but folks, if you are looking for a "musical comedy" to sit down and watch with the kids... LOOK ELSEWHERE! I suggest "South Pacific", or any of the other Rogers and Hammerstein films! But if you don't mind a bit of a "tear jerker" plot line in order to listen to some VERY tasty Brass Band music then go ahead and check this one out. But please... it really ain't very funny. I think James from Philly would relate well to this film.

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Ed,

I know what you mean. However, it's a very English type of 'black' humour..perhaps not what you're used to. I guess it derives from a working class ability to be able to laugh at yourself and see humour in adversity..it's complex and not sure it translates very well.

Lots of the famous BBC (and other) comedies had similar themes..still very, very funny though (to me).

Regards,

Trevor

PS 'The Full Monty' is another with very similar social comment and is a scream (don't watch it with small kids though!!)

3. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The 'Full Monty' was basically the same thing dealing with the British high unemployment rate and the drastic measures to make a 'living'.

It is British 'dry' humor, meant to be funny...but make a point at the same time.

I own both of the movies and really enjoy them. Matter of fact ...... I think I'll watch Brassed Off again tonight after my practice .... since the Girlfriend will be out to her group guitar lesson! :D

4. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Now Blackadder....that's comedy anyone can enjoy!

5. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yes, I went to rent it one evening and they told me it was in the comedy section. NO WAY is it a comedy the way us Americans think of comedy. Funny, Jerry Lewis type comedy. Now that is comedy. The Brits have a warped humor. Look at Monety Python. Of course, I like that too.

"Brassed Off" is still one of my favorite movies. And my favorite line is "and it's not a trumpet, it's a bloody euphonium". I love it! The Brits seem to call all brass instruments "Trumpets". Too much warm beer, I think. More bourbon is what they need.

Great music it is. I need to get the soundtrack.

6. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Got to disagree with you Toots....this is certainly a "comedy" ...even the great Chaplin films had their "sad" moments. I'm sure my dad who died of pneumoconiosis (black lung) back in 1973 would have laughed his socks off if he had seen it. We Brits have a tendency to laugh at ourselves quite a lot...even during the Blitz while the Nazis were bombing the crap out of us we could make jokes about it. If I asked any retired miner in my home village, which is now devoid of any coal mines. what he thought of Brassed Off if he had seen it, I'm sure the comment would be... "Great comedy!" :lol:

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    ... and I'm SURE that was a tenor horn!

I really liked this film as well, and it is funny, though there are some sad bits.

8. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Sorry JackD It was definitely a euphonium! Looked like Gordon Higginbotham playing the tenor horn. Did you notice Jim Shepherd...my all time favourite cornet player ex Black Dyke and James Shepherd Versatile Brass playing in the cornet front row. His triple tongueing way back in the 70's was 220 (second to none) :lol:

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    220??? I'd better break out the Arbans again...

10. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    No Jack it wasn't the tempo :lol: :lol: 2 (2nd) 2 (to) 0 (none)...an old Naval motto on a ship I was serving on in the RN . The pennant numbers were C220 and the skipper made it the ship's motto ..second to none :lol: