Brasso IS GOOD OR NOT??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Apr 3, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Is brasso or silvo any good for ALL type of finish like nickel, silver, lacquer, raw brass and stuff?
    Because I've got a old trumpet and it's got fingerprints and dirty greasy stuff on the bell.
    And I just want to clean and polish it up.

AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SILVO & BRASSO?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Don't use Brasso on silver plate. I would use it on a neglected Raw Brass to get the brass clean - wear gloves. Then use Car polish and Wax to maintain the horn. It is easier to use, and easier to clean.

Silvo is less aggressive, but for silver, use a silver jewellery cloth for a light polish. Check out Cleaning Silver Trumpets threads for Aluminium/Baking soda mix to help where bad tarnish is present. I do not use Silvo on my horns, but my wife must use it on a Tea set or something, as there is always a can of both Brasso and Silvo in the cupboard.

Dispose of your dirty cloths in the bin, do not put them back into a cupboard or a box. You can wash them as soon as you clean, but be careful of spontaneous combustion with any chemical based polish. They can burn the house down if you let them accumulate in a cupboard.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Toothpaste will do exactly the same job - but it has a much finer grit - think on that ........ GRIT. Now, do you still want to use some grit bearing solvent abrasive stuff on your little brass friend?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well at least, in theory, toothpaste should minimize the cavities left behind, which in my belief would be "True Grit", Pilgrim.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Brasso and light rubbing did a fine job removing laqure, pitting, and some surface red rot from my cornet, and I will probably use it again to polish it up one last time before I let the patina take it

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've used toothpaste to lap slides on new trumpets. Next time I'll use Brasso.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto